HIV Prevention Community
HIV testing

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

HIV testing

Hello guys my doctor has advised me to take a p24 antigen test 16 days after exposure as this is when he says p24 protein peaks. He said this would be around 90% accurate is he correct? Also he say a duo test after 4 weeks will be 99.9% accurate. Thank you
Nothing is concluisve until 3 months with an antibody test. A DUO test at 4 weeks is a very good test, but not conclusive.
Thank you again vance for your replay so 3 months is 100% and duo test at 4 weeks. But how good is is antigen test after 16 day?
useless
Hello lizzie so my doctor is wrong and p24 protein can't be detected. 2 weeks after exposure with antigen test?
what was your exposure?
Unprotected sex with female sex worker
If you cannot wait the 3 months for a conclusive antibody test, then you can take a DUO at 4-6 weeks.  That will be a very good indication of your status, but you will still need the follow up test at 3 months.
Hello nurse girl how accurate would you say a 6 weeks duo test will be?
at 6 weeks...the only part of the duo that you would need is the antibody.  a 6 weeks test is a very good indication of one's status and unlikely to change when the 3 month test is obtained.
Thank you do much everyone you advice has been much appreciated.