HIV Prevention Community
HIV transmission through small herpes wound?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Hello all;

I will preface this by giving some information that, I think, is relevant to my question.
I am a 27 years old male, and I suffer from genital herpes which causes small outbreaks from time to time (otherwise healthy). The virus sometimes causes small wounds on the front side of the scrotum.

Yesterday, I had intercourse with a prostitute. Although I did use a condom, I just noticed this morning that I had some tiny herpes wounds, on the area that isn't covered by the condom. I hadn't noticed them yesterday, but I assume they might have been there already.

So, here's the question: Is there a possibility, IF that woman was HIV+, that she might have passed it to me, not through the glans (glands) (it was covered by the condom), but through the skin on my scrotum, which is infected with the herpes virus?

Yes I know, she might have been negative for all I know, and the only way to know for sure will be to test at 1 month and one more time after 3 months. I already know that. However, my question is in regards to the possibility of transmission in such a situation. Assuming she was positive, is there, then, a risk of transmission through the rash on my skin? Or is the risk so small as to be negligible?

Thanks!
No risk cuts Are on the out side when doing insertive sex right-- hiv happens with in the body.
And that holds true, even assuming that HIV-infected vaginal fluids might have come into contact with the wounds?
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug users
Mother to child