HIV Prevention Community
HIv from unprotected virginal intercourse

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

about 3-4 years ago I had drunken sex with a woman I met on a dating site. we had about 1-2mins of unprotected sex (she had a cap fitted)

I realised this was still a bad idea then put on a condom on to complete the act

We have been in touch recently that as she is a nurse she had tests before and after meeting me and all were negative, she now has a regular boyfriend so isnt that keen on me asking her too many questions

Clearly Im still worried and planning for getting tested now as for some reason after seeing something on TV ive gotten worried but keen to hear views on my risk

S
Well, I have both bad news and good news. The bad news is, you have to get tested, because unprotected sex is unprotected sex you know. Doesn't matter how short it was. But the good news is, she said she's a nurse. And if it was true, I don't think a nurse would be ignorant enough not to take precautions against something like HIV.
While the risk from an unprotected vaginal sex considering the partner is indeed HIV+ is low, you might have a risk from there, so you'd better get tested now since it's been beyond 3 months post-exposure. Beyond the period there won't be a false negative, so a negative result will come out conclusive. For this purpose I suggest an HIV antibody test.

Even IF you found yourself having got HIV from there, you can get earlier HIV medication to prevent that HIV from progressing into AIDS, therefore allowing you to maintain a relatively healthy lifestyle like HIV negative people.
Hi Ricky - she had said she was HIv neg on two tests does that change your thoughts?

s
hi , in worst case scenarion -- are there any sites I can look at on treatments and life expectancy? from what Ive looked at the right meds you can live 20+ yrs

tx
When were those?

she said she had negative tests before meeting me (after last partner) and after meeting me ie before her next partner so seems v health conscious

I was just spooked she didnt want to speak to me much now by email (but I guess thats cos she has long term partner now)

Then you need to get checked now for the sake of clarity. Speaking about lifespan, taking meds will be better than not, and regular intake will make you live close to, if not like, normal people's lifespan.
Thanks Ricky

do you think its a lowish risk if she said she was clear and is regularly checking

thanks again
well buddy i will tell you the truth first if she is hiv negative its mean you are hiv negative but just to be sure you can get a test and it will be negative.even if she is positive risk is 1/1000 so you are most likely hiv negative go get a test even take her too for your further re assurance
Considering any of tests have been conducted at earliest 3 months from your sex with her, then she conclusively had no HIV and you would be so either, considering this is your only concerned interaction. If you're not sure if it's the case, then you will need to get tested yourself.