HIV Prevention Community
Herpes and Kissing

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Herpes and Kissing

A few days ago I engaged -- for two - three nights in a row some light kissing with the same woman. I had a recently developed (before any kissing was done) a cold sore on my bottom lip. The woman I was kissing -- a white, 20 year old college student -- told me later revealed she has had sex with only 2 people. (I didnt ask her if she has ever been tested for STDS HIV; she said she has kissed 25 for whatever that is worth)

The first night I was drunk and am unsure of how much kissing was actually done but nothing to long although I imagine some french kissing. The next day and following night not much kissing was done because of my cold sore, just light kissing.

My concern is the following: While her HIV status is unknown, what are the chances HIV could have been transmitted from kissing her through my open-cold sore? My fears were hightened because I read that since the immune system responds to ColdSores by flooding the area with white bloodcells -- the cells that HIV virus infects -- I may be at an increased risk.

What would have to occur for me to receive HIV in this way? Would she have to have also had sores in her mouth or blood? what about saliva?

Thanks for the wonderful forum and all the best~
You were never at risk from kissing.
Avatar n tn
Teak, is that because kissing just wont transmit HIV coldsore or no coldsore?
You won't get infected kissing with cold sores or not. If you didn't have HSV1 before, you probably have now.
Avatar n tn
I had the cold sore -- So I already know im HSV-1 infected. That make any difference?
Please check the dates of posts you are responding to. Please guard against dispensing incorrect medical information, a cold sore does NOT automatically equal herpes.

-JC-