HIV Prevention Community
HiV acquisation and PEP effectiveness

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HiV acquisation and PEP effectiveness

Dear Doctor
Let me get down to it. I had sex with a sex worker in Nigeria when night of bliss. We did it first in my car using condoms. We did it for about 5 mins. Then she begged me to take her to my house that it was too late to go to her house. I did. At my house, I put on a condom and we did this time for a longer time, there were tongue kissing also but no sore in my mouth that I know of. Then I removed my penis from inside her. Next thing she removed my condom and wanted me to penetrate her raw. That's when I got upset and stood up immdietely. I had a sore on my penis that was 5 days old. It had clotted by then. But I was afraid the condom might not have covered it. 2moro and went in for pep. They said they won't give me until I assertain the girl's status. Then 2moro I went to test with the girl. It was positive (I believe she Knew this b4 hand and just wanted me to confirm my fears). I rushed back to hospital and told them. They gave me atripla which I started 65 hours post exposure. From that day on I felt fatigue, had diahrea, occational head aches, had two lymph nodes in my neck, muscle twitch and joint pains, developed a few itchy rash 2 days after pep which are still here 7 weeks post exposure. Had mild cough 2 weeks post exposure My questions:
1. What level will u say my risk could be categorised
2. Are these side effects ars or atripla related (expecially the rash which I developed after pep
3. I tested negative 6 weeks post exposure does it mean any thing at all and will a 3 months post exposure be conclusive a test?
4. Can anxiety cause me to really feel the things am feeling currently
Tags: teak, dr cummings, HIV, PEP, effectiveness, rash, Anxiety, negative, test
what kind of "5 day old sore" on your penis did you have?
Lizzie.
Truth is I don't really know what it was. But am sure its not an std bcos I hadn't had sex in 3 months b4 I developed it. It looked like a round shaving cut ( except it wasn't since I didn't shave). Maybe some type of infection I don't know. At the time of the incident, it was clotted. It healed completely without blemish 4 days post exposure. But when I got scared I pressed it together with my two thumbs to see if it would bleed. Some puss-like liquid came out of the clotted surface. That was around 30 mins since the sex
Thanks Lizzie. Hope u can help me know what to expect
O Boy you should be fine since you used condom, you are risk free you can't get hiv from what you describe
You never had a risk--you used protection and why you were given nPEP in the first place is a mystery--you never required it or the testing either--you don't have HIV.