HIV Prevention Community
How long before HIV + person suspects they are sick

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Just a question.

The person who may have exposed me to HIV told me he has only had sex with two people during the last 7 years...one a long term relationship unprotected and the next was just a one time thing with a condom.

When I asked him if he had HIV he said no. Then he got quiet and said he doubted it because he would probably be sick by now. Then the next day I asked him again and he was adamant he doesnt have it.

I know they say a person can go for 10 years without showing one symptom. Is that a majority of people? Or do most people begin to show signs earlier? Does anybody know how long it takes for an average HIV + person to show symptoms that would warrant them to seek medical attention?

The man who exposed me seems healthy, he had a bad cold a few months ago other than that nothing wrong. He also suffers from severe depression I later found out but refuses to stay on his meds becuase he says he doesnt care. He told me he doesnt care about anything. And he smokes pot several times daily. He told me he has never been to prison or done IV drugs or slept with a man.
Tags: years
One more note, he told me prior to me he had not had sex in 3 years.

I tested negative for all STD's but he did give me mono.
I know you had a risk, but you are becomming helpasap. You have a new post like every 10-20 mins.
Whats wrong with pot? What is that a sign of? cuz the girl I was with smokes it as well. I'm more of a drug free person. And alcohol too.
there are a lot of potheads here and in Vancouver BC
I know, I cant stop posting because I keep thinking of new questions.

They say pot is a gateway drug. Maybe it means he does use IV drugs.
You live in Seattle right. Isn't that like where Grunge Rock came from. I'd imagine it's potheads on every corner there.
But I too wondered that about the person I was with. What if they inject drugs since they already smoke pot?
If either of you attempt to insinuate that pot users inject IV drugs by nature and so must have HIV, you will have crossed the line fully into the realm of helpasap and the like.
I know it sounds crazy, but its pounded into your head growing up that pot is a gateway drug to experimentation with other drugs. Maybe I am naive, I have never smoked pot. I am just trying to assess the risk of the guy who may have exposed me.
I didn't insinuate that, it's was just something that I wondered to myself when I was thinking about the person I was with. I know a lot of people who smoke pot, but are scared of needles.