HIV Prevention Community
Is 3 months enough or what!? PLEASE HELP

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

HI EVERYONE.

I had a one time exposure and tested NEGATIVE at 4 months. Online, there are so many people that say 3 months is conclusive and enough. But my doctor, and then Infectious Disease Doctor say that I still have to wait until 6 months after the exposure.

This is seriously giving me a lot of anxiety and worry. Someone please. Doesn't the CDC say that only 97 percent of people test conclusively at 3 months? What about the other 3? PLEASE HELP ME!

I'M DESPERATE
Tags: 3 months, ARS, Anxiety, help, testing, 6 months, test, HIV, negative, window, Period, CDC
From the CDC:

Ninety-seven percent of persons will develop antibodies in the first 3 months following the time of their infection. In very rare cases, it can take up to 6 months to develop antibodies to HIV.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/testing/resources/qa/index.htm

The "very rare" cases would be people who are severely immunocompromised.  Examples would be, advanced terminal cancer, chemo patients, people taking anti-rejection meds post an organ transplant, chronic IV drug abusers.

Even the people who fit into the above category almost always test positive within the 3 month window period.  The recommendation to test out to 6 months is a precaution due to their impaired immune system.
If an ID doctor is telling you to test at 6 months then they should go back to med school,it's WRONG. 3 months is fully conclusive and has been since 2004.You're safe.You don't have HIV.
Woah since 2004!? The CDC says so?

That's a relief.. kind of. Haha .
Yes--since 2004 and the CDC says so.The FDA say so aswell.
Do you have any links to the sites that say so? I'm a bit curious.
From the CDC:

So I don't need to test again?
No you do not need to test again, you have a conclusive test result.
I emailed the CDC and they said yes, 97 percent will develop antibodies within 3 months. They said nothing about the other 3 percent being people that had transplants or had chemo.

Had you been one of the three % you would have known.
If studies show that 99% of people will seroconvert by 6 weeks then 3 months has to be 100% conclusive for all.
Actually the CDC says 97 percent of people seroconvert at 3 months.
http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
#4
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results
Okay. Guys, does the CDC say that people that take longer than 3 months are inconpromised?
People that may take longer are those that are on chemo, those that take antirejection drugs for organ transplants and chronic IV drug abusers.
Is it possible for someone that has never done any of those things to seroconvert late?
No.
No.