HIV Prevention Community
Is my concern warranted?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Is my concern warranted?

I have never posted or replied to any thread in this forum although I have been on and searched numerous topics on the forum. For the most part, I have gotten all the answers I’ve needed but I would like to get a more personal answer. For background sake, I do suffer from anxiety and have a therapist that I do go see in regards to this. So I am aware that my concerns are probably exaggerated but I’d still rather be safe than sorry.

I, like many people on here, are pretty nervous after having a possible “std/HIV incident”. My incident happened about a month ago while I was on vacation in Spain. I was fairly drunk and a prostitute on the street(do not know if it makes a difference but she was of African descent) offered to have sex with me. So I went along and she gave me protected oral and for the most part protected anal/or vaginal(I was so drunk I do not remember if it was anal or vaginal the intercourse). I did have an erection but barely and I did not ejaculate(pre-*** was there though). The possible transmission happened when the condom broke probably due to the fact that she was pretty dry. I was told that prostitutes are trained to notice any condom breaks or tears and I believe she pulled out immediately. In which time I got a little nervous took off the condom and asked her if she was clean. She didn’t understand to well but said yes, I went back to my hotel cleaned myself and that was that.  

Up until yesterday I was fine, for some reason I got so nervous and decided to go crazy looking on the internet and freaked myself out so much I went this morning to do both a Chlaymidia and ghannohrea urine test. When I got back from the trip, I also did an HIV/Syphillis test( maybe 8-12 days after the incident) and both came back negative. I did not do a Herpes test because I was already confirmed that I had it about 2 years ago.

My questions are this:

1) Would the risk levels change if it were anal instead of vaginal and vice-versa?
2) Since a conclusive test for HIV/Syphillis tends to take 3 months, should I do so?

I appreciate any information you are able to provide. I understand the amount of questions(especially repeats that you may encounter on a daily basis) so your answer will be all the more appreciated.

Thank you again,

-Cmart
risk from unprotected anal sex is higher than vaginal sex however i dont quite understand if you used protection or not

however if you used protection you dont have anything to worry about
and if you did not or the candom broke then you have a risk and need to test after 12weeks for conclusive reults for HIV
I did say I used protection, but I am not aware if it was anal or vaginal because I was intoxicated. I also did state that the condom broke but from what I can remember she caught it quickly and pulled out almost immediately.
Worth testing
ok if you used protection it does not matter anal or vaginal as it was indeed protected
now since the condom broke you were exposed to some risk i would say roughly the same degree of risk

i recommend an hiv test after 3 month
but most likely it would be negative
good luck
is a slight fever and white stuff on the back of my tongue a cause for concern or a separate issue?
the same symptoms associated with early infection are also common, everyday illnesses.  therefore...using symptoms as an indicator of infection...is ill advised.

the only way to know one's status is by testing.