HIV Prevention Community
More Help on the 6-8 Week Testing

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

More Help on the 6-8 Week Testing

Dr. HHH's comments essentially say that medically, 6-8 weeks is a conclusive test!  The CDC and FDA use the 3-month conclusive to cover their backs.  The nurse at the HIV test site that I went to for my rapid test, and my GP both told me:

1) HIV is NOT an easy virus to get

2) ~ 50% of infected people seroconvert within 2 weeks, followed 4 weeks, and then ~99% or higher in 6-8 weeks.

3) It is the very rare cases that take a full 12-13 weeks, 6 months, or 1 year to complete seroconversion

Essentially, the CDC and FDA only state that the 3-month test is fully conclusive because there have been statistical outliers, that is, very rare and extreme cases extending to 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year.  Although, it has been incredibly difficult finding proven documentation of these cases and I still have not discovered anything in my research.     Docotors like Dr. HHH agree, though, that these tests become reactive at a late time because the patient was already immunocompromised, thus making them unable to produce HIV antibodies as quickly as a healthy immune system.  There is also the possibility that these patients engaged in risky behavior outside of the 3 month period and "reset" their window period.  There is no clear-cut answer, but the fact of the matter is that any seroconversion greater than 6-8 weeks is very rare, and anything greater than 3 months seems to be more of a medical oddity.

So, ultimately, 3 months is how the CDC and FDA protect themselves from harmful lawsuits.  Medically, however, we can all expect that if we test negative in the 6-8 week bracket (if we are not immunocompromised) then our "conclusive" test will most assuredly be negative as well.

Believe me, I know how you all feel!  I went through, and am still partially going through this nightmare.  I hope this helps ease people's minds like it did mine, and I hope this helps clear up some confusion!  Best of luck to all, and God Bless!
Yep, 6 weeks is all you need with modern HIV testing. (if we are not immunocompromised)

The chance you have HIV, with the negative test result at 4 weeks, is astronomically low. Best wishes-- HHH, MD

What is being tested?
HIV, human immunodeficiency virus, is the virus that causes AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome), which destroys the immune system and leaves the body vulnerable to debilitating infections. This test detects HIV antibodies in the blood. Antibodies to HIV are produced by the body and can be detected in the blood about 2–4 weeks after exposure to the virus.

From LAB TEST ONLINE

Your HIV counselor is behind the times. Modern HIV blood tests can become positive as few as 10 days after infection and are positive in ~95% of infected persons within 3-4 weeks, reaching ~100% by 6 weeks. (Please nobody hold me to precise numbers--but these are close.) It is almost unheard of for a positive test result to be delayed 3 months and especially 6 months. That was the story until a few years ago, but not now.Your exposure was low risk for everything, certainly HIV and syphilis; in theory, herpes (due to HSV-1) might be the biggest chance, and even that's very low.Good luck-- HHH, MD

Have a nice day
Ah, the daily 6 week thread...
This subject truly never dies!
Too bad the moderator deleted yesterday's thread, some good stuff there...

By the way, apparently from now on any post with links in it will get deleted.
So nobody ask me for links anymore
some said 6 weeks is 100% but mine is 8 weeks now and i still develop some swollen gland and dry mouth
If your ELISA was negative at 8 weeks you can forget about HIV
oraquick at 7 and blood test at parent hood at 8 weeks?
blood test samething at ELISA right?
thx reg, just one more answer
wat can cause swollen glands?
Any infection, local or systemic, can cause swollen glands.
Also lymphomas.
Have a doctor take a look.
Would you consider a 7 week negative test pretty reliable?
Elisa is a blood test right?
Saliva tests are also ELISAs.  All screening tests for HIV are ELISAs.
A negative ELISA at 7 weeks is very reliable
thx u, i have all those test at 6,7,8 weeks test
6 weeks is GUM swap test
7 weeks is Home test kit
8 weeks is Blood test

so all those test i took are elisa right?
I really wish I could believe that 6 weeks is conclusive. I'm not worried about myself but for my husband. I'm not having sex with him till the 13 week mark because I don't trust condoms. Some of you here may remember helpme21, that poor girl had a negative 6 week test and then she tested 7 months later and she was positive. That proves that 6 weeks is not conclusive.
12/13 weeks is conclusive..but havent heard 6 weeks is...but 6 weeks is a good indicator
"12/13 weeks is conclusive..but havent heard 6 weeks is...but 6 weeks is a good indicator"

You haven't heard from who?  Read my post. Dr. HHH says it is conclusive, I believe him. The CDC has to cover their asses that's a fact. Ghezzz, the same peole who are ignoring the real world of testing are putting people through so much stress waiting 13 freek-in weeks for nothing. In a year or so the cdc will be saying 6 weeks also and then Sha-zammm the same people who advocate 13 weeks will now say 6 weeks, what will have changed?  Nothing but a CDC memo.
Contact your local Clinic and get the proper information from them instead of listening to a bunch of WW that don't know anything about HIV or testing.
Do you think Dr.HHH is a WW? Do you think a local person in a CLINIC would have his and many other well know Dr. and institutions "real world" testing knowledge?

have a great day
People in clincs actually have more experience with testing and their Limitations than does a Dr. that doesn't treat patients.

You have a good day.
what is a "WW"
I guess this is a question that will never be answered. All have a different opinion. Dr. HHH said hehas over 30 years doing this stuff [STD clinic] I don't take all one person says he impresses me though. It boils down to what ever one is comfortable with. As for me I am ok with the 6 weeks.
Have a good one

What is being tested?

From LAB TEST ONLINE

LOL, You should have read on. (Same website)

Is there anything else I should know?
Antibody testing will not detect HIV immediately after exposure, during the window before the development of antibodies. If you are tested too soon, your result may be negative despite the fact that you are infected (false negative). Because of this, repeat testing is important. You should have another HIV antibody test in 3–6 months from the time of a possible exposure to the virus.
What is "WW"?
a worried well....means that they worry so much about HIV that nothing will help them get over it,.
Correct but that is simply a disclaimer like they all say. Why fight the CDC if you don't have to. Why take a chance. They however like so many, are giving you real world info in the portion I posted. Anyway like I said, in not the to distant future the cdc will send a memo out that 6/8 weeks is sufficient and you will then be supporting that,  that's ok, I just think the info out there now is good. get a six week test and stop worrying. If you want to follow it up, so be it but if not, the six week test is good enough.
Until all scientific litature is changed and then it will stay at 3 months for a conclusive negative result. That is not a disclaimer, that is how the tests been tested and approved by the FDA. If the manufacture would have thought a 6 week test was conclusive that would have filed for it with the FDA.
What can I say? You are correct about the FDA and the certification. I am correct in dealing in the "real world". My only point is folks should understand that a six week neg test is about as good as it gets. To keep people stressed because of the paper work in not doing them any favors. Also delaying testing for 3 months is insane. It contributes to the spread of this virus. If you are having sex with unknowns, test every three months at six weeks post the last exposure to protect yourself and others.

have good day
You are incorrect. A six weeks negative test is NOT a conclusive test in the REAL WORLD. Delaying testing at three months contributes to the spread of virus? NOT if one uses a condom to begin with while waiting to get tested for a conclusive result which they should. Those that believe that a negative test at 6 weeks is conclusive and forego the use of condoms are at most risk of spreading HIV. Even if a test can not detect the virus due to not enough antibodies one can still spread the virus. Antibody levels and HIV levels are not the same.

Have a good day.
Well sir, you can advocate what you want however you are going against all the statistics. It is unheard off that someone tests Neg @6 weeks then turn Poz. with no furture exposure. It is rare indeed that is a fact. I agree it is not conclusive because the cdc says it's not. the facts however   speak for themselves.  That all I'm going to say.
You don't play statistics or odds with HIV. The only way to know for sure, is testing at the correct time and collect your conclusive result. The fact of the matter is the manufacture and the FDA approval is what matters. No one can change the timeline except for those two.
I read on a post dated around late June that Helpme21's story was a hoax. Is that true? I read her post she seemed so honest and very devastated. If she told the truth, that's proof a 6 week negative test is not conclusive.
"No one can change the timeline except for those two."

You left out the word "official" before timeline. That's the whole point, it is simply the bureaucracies timeline based on:

1- A reluctance to change

2- A desire to cover all the posible exposures.

3-Companies complying with the bureaucracy [why not,why fight it ] during certification.

So yes the official conclusive for paper work is 3 months but in real practice 6 weeks is all most people need.

The weather is great here in the midwest, have a great day

I'll bet all who said they tested Neg and were nutty posters were hoaxes. Heck several of the posters here are the same person with different names. I'm sure Teak and the others who have been here know which one's are just having fun with other peoples fear. Oh well that's life as sad as it is.
She didn't seem nutty to me, she didn't jump threads like bigdummy or helpasap or any others here who are fearing incidents that were no risk. apparently helpme21 was raped, tested negative at 6 weeks and then tested positive when she got tested 7 months later. Her case was one of the most unique one posted here at the time. If she lied that's just horrible and immature but if it's true then my heart goes out to her cause she didn't deserve that. As for the 6 weeks waiting period, seroconverting after 6 weeks may be rare but Teak's seen it happen and I prefer that my husband gets tested at 12 weeks because I don't want to take any chances, especially but I'm nursing. I was pregnant during his 2 exposures
Fine get tested when you want. What ever makes you happy. If you are not driving yourself nut waiting good. If someone is going crazy waiting 12 weeks because of misinformation about the six week test than that's too bad
Helpme21 was a confirmed liar.
She was not 21, she was not from Australia, she was not raped.
There is no reason to believe anything she said about her HIV testing.

But none of this is relevant to the discussion.  Sure, you will find people out there that claim to test positive after 6 weeks or 3 months or even later.  Every rule has exceptions and  people aren't always correct or truthful.  The bottom line remains that the ELISA is an extremely accurate test from 4 weeks on after the exposure.
Another common sense post from regularjoey. Funny how the bureaucracy says oral sex is definalty a risk but Teak seems to not follow their lead on that subject but follows it on the 13 week testing guidlines. I guess it is selective complience.  Anyway,  you andTeak  help alot of folks.
I saw this post about a 6 weeks and I remember her posts. There was a thread I came accross a post stating she was a confirmed liar so I got curious.