HIV Prevention Community
Oral Sex and PEP
About This Community:

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Oral Sex and PEP

Ok... I actually have several questions regarding HIV infection through oral sex.
I have read plenty of articles regarding the subject and I have noticed that the opinions are divided between low risk, no risk, and no documented cases. I like to obtain as much information as I possibly can about STD's and HIV; I am a sexually active gay man and I know I have to be responsible and take the right precautions. I have recently engaged in receptive oral sex (I was given head) with a known HIV+ person (he mentioned about early detection of the virus and being on meds)... the oral contact only lasted less than a minute and he did not seem to have any open sores or bleeding (ejaculation was not involved, of course). Are my risks of infection close to zero?
I know in fact that this is an extremely low risk scenario. I guess I am just going through a phase of stress and anger since the person did not share his status before engaging in an intimate matter with me, even when there was no intercourse involved... I know it was my fault as well for not asking beforehand. Also, I have read so many information and sometimes the opinions of HIV infection through oral sex are so varied... I have heard crazy stories about people going on nPEP after an incident of oral sex for example.
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
The opinions may be debatable, but the facts aren't. You didn't have an exposure.
Blank
Thank you for your response.
It is just intriguing to me that unprotected oral sex is listed as one of the risks for infection when in fact there is not actual evidence to prove it or document it. Yet, everything in medicine is possible and never 100%.
Is it more based on the case and circumstances? Why do clinics stress this risk?
Blank
580755_tn?1357673215
Go ask clinics, we can't say where guidlines came from when they were written, what info did they see. Too many factors.

Remember when HIV was just thought of as something gay men got? Things change, evolve and we learn.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
HIV Prevention Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank