HIV Prevention Community
Oral Sex answer from Doctor

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Oral Sex answer from Doctor

The following is an extract answer from Doctors forum saying that Saliva is a very low but risk is there.I have been reading again and again in this forum that Saliva oral sex has no risk.
I request if you could enlighten on this as why the professional doctors say there is a risk even if low.

*****************
Your risk of having gotten HIV is very, very low.  Your only meaningful exposure was when she placed her mouth on your penis.  The risk for oral sex, if your partner had HIV is less than 1 infection in 10,000 exposures and some experts think that this assessment is too high and there is really no risk at all.  In addition, since it was her idea to use a condom, I suspect her reason for suggesting a condom be used was because she was not infected and did not want to get infected by you, not to protect you.  While we cannot call their 100% safe sex, it was very, very low risk to you.
***************
HIV has been found in saliva and tears in very low quantities from some AIDS patients. It is important to understand that finding a small amount of HIV in a body fluid does not necessarily mean that HIV can be transmitted by that body fluid. HIV has not been recovered from the sweat of HIV-infected persons. Contact with saliva, tears, or sweat has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/transmission.htm

Avatar n tn
Hi Teak,

I went through the CDC but again if that is the case,why is it categorized as LOW RISK.I have also read that saliva has many antibodies that will kill HIV but why is it still low risk.Then where is the risk.I request you to please answer as the majority of the questions in this forum are for unerstanding the risk even ifit is a low risk.

Thanks for your answer.
Saliva contains no antibodies. It contains proteins and enzymes that inhibit HIV transmission. http://www.aegis.com/news/pr/1998/pr980105.html
Avatar n tn
Hello Teak,

Thank you for the information.But with all these tests and proofs,why do the professional doctors still grade the Saliva - Oral sex as Low risk.

Thanks.
That is something you'll have to ask them why they are not up to date on transmission.
Post your question on your thread not someone elses.
Can you read what I wrote to you?