HIV Prevention Community
Oral Thrush

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Oral Thrush

Quick question about oral thrush. Does it normally hurt or is it painful in any way? I have white stuff all over my tongue and don't know if it is thrush or not.

Thank you
Go to your doctor and he'll do a slide and diagnosis if you have thrush or not. Thrush, can be very painful.
Hi again,

just to add to the question. How painful can thrush be?

I mean is it that your mouth hurts a lor everytime you swallow or chew something.? or is it you can barely speak? or your lips are swollen?

Thanks.
God bless.
Two things Teak forgot to mention:

-Thrush is NOT a sign of EARLY/PRIMARY HIV infection (ARS). It is associated with later stage HIV infection.

-You do not have to be HIV+ to get thrush.

That being said, if you do think you have thrush or are experiencing painful symptoms in the oral cavity, seee a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
The oral thrush is to come at later stage of hiv. then how late is late? is 3 years considered late stage?

I am not having any pain or swollen lips in my mouth. But however, it is just that from time to time i have a feeling that tongue is burning (mildly) and when i check in mirror....i cant see anything wrong...

God bless.

Quick question, since oral thrush is not a early symptom of HIV (I had the possible exposure on december 12th, 2006), can taking Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (Kaletra & Combuvir) for a month somehow make the symptoms come quicker thereby making thrush a possible early symptom?

The timing of disease progression can vary tremendously from person to person.

It depends on genetic factors of the person, their general state of health, the strain of virus, and, nowadays, whether they are taking ARVs.

Teak, for example, lived with HIV in the chronic stage of infection for 20+ years before he needed to go on ARVs.

Most people progress to late stage infection within 5-10 years. Three years would be more aggressive than usual.

ALL OF THIS IS MOOT, HOWEVER, UNLESS YOU'VE BEEN DIAGNOSED AS HIV+.

Many healthy people also get thrush, e.g., after taking antibiotics which can wreak havoc on the good bacteria in the mouth.

Besides, your 'burning tongue' doesn't sound anything like thrush anyway. It sounds like your PERCEPTION of symptoms might be influenced by your current level of anxiety...
Could PEP INCREASE HIV disease progression?

Absolutely not.

PEP (the use of ARVs to prevent the establishment of HIV infection by inhibiting viral replication)would never cause faster disease progression. Even in the worst case scenario, where PEP fails to prevent the establishment of HIV infection AND damages the liver, the HIV disease would still not progress more quickly.

Bottom line: Neither THRUSH nor other symptoms are reliable indicators of HIV infections. If you test HIV antibody negative at least 3 months post-exposure, you are HIV-. At that point, it wouldn't matter what symptoms you'd be experiencing - they wouldn't be due to HIV.
i kissed someone last month and now my tonsils are swollen i am very worried and have not been able to think str8 can some please help?1
Why are you posting on an HIV forum?
I read online that swollen tosils are signs of hiv.......thats why i am posting here
What was your exposure?
kissed and "dry humped" my new boyfriend....
are you sure....cos i have been worried sick....and reading a lot of things online....i read somewhere that there is 0.05% chances of getting hiv through kissing and that just added to my worries.....i mean my tonsils are swolled and its like i am coming down with a cold.....i am soooo worried and cant think straigh anymore!
You were never at risk from anything you've stated.
I hope you're right.....I need to relax!
One question about oral thrush. If you have oral thrush, do you have to take medication to get rid of it or does it go by itself after scrubbing your tongue.
Thank you.
Not to burst your bubble Chris, but here are more people the contract thrush that don't have HIV than there is that do.
would thrush cause a constant cough since september that comes on at night?
No bournemistake it doesn't cause a cough.
How do we differentiate thrush with normal white coating which i believe every normal person has , some may have more white coating which could be because of some liver toxic as per google.
Quit "googling." If you have a concern, see your doctor.  Quit trying to self diagnose yourself.
Hi , about three years ago i had sex with a girl from work and didnt think much of it. I barely knew her and i am a huuuuge hypochondriac so i immedietly thought .. what if she has hiv? i went to the doctor about 3 months after and got tested and it was negative. then i went again about 3 months later and again about 3 months after that. All of the tests were negative for HIV but every time something unusuall happens to my body i immedietly start thinking oh whats if its HIV? and i worry myself sick. i smoke and i usued to dip tobacco and ive quit dipping but still smoke. I developed a tiny white little spot on the top center of my tongue and it wasn't painfull unluess i messed with it or sucked on my tongue. It took about 2 weeks for the little white strip to go away and i didnt think anything of it. A month after that the little strip came back in the same spot. Its not like its spreading or anything i just dont know what is causing it.
It's not an HIV concern.
I am a 26 year old male, I have not had many past sexual partners (only 2 women). About 6 - 7 weeks ago I was traveling for business, I had some time to kill before my last appointment of the day. I stopped in at a run-down massage parlor. I kind of knew of the practices that go on here due to the way the masseuse was dressed, but I proceeded anyways. Long story short, the lady ended up performing a hand job on me, after a few minutes I did not ejaculate, so she climbed onto the bench that I was laying on and stuck her butt in my face. To this day, I still don't know why I did it, I know its gross, but I ended up licking her anus for about 1 or 2 minutes. She was very clean down there btw, and there was definitely no blood present. This is very out of the norm for me, however I did it, and there is no going back.

Immediately after I left, I rushed to the nearest drug store and purchased some anti-bacterial mouth wash and gargled it for a minute or two.

It is now 6 or 7 weeks later and I have developed thrush on my tongue. This was diagnosed by a doctor at the nearest Urgent Care. He gave me some mouth-wash medicine called Nystatin. This is helping the thrush go away very quickly, it is now almost gone.

My question is... Is this a coincidence, or is it possible that I contracted HIV or AIDS from this? Based on my web browsing, it seems that thrush is common in HIV victims, newborn babies, and older adults. As I mentioned I am a 26 year old male, who is in very good physical shape, and eat pretty decent, so I don't really fit in with any of that criteria.

What are the chances that I have contracted HIV from this? I know the best solution here is to get an HIV test, although I am waiting until 2 months has gone by so I can get more accurate results. I will probably get tested in a week or two.

Thank you for not judging, I would appreciate professional opinions on the matter. Thank you.

-Jessie
You were never at risk of contracting HIV.
i think the fact that you licked some girls chili ring caused the thrush-not hiv.
I had unprotected sex in SE Asia. After 2 weeks my lymph nodes in neck were swollen and I had sore throat and felt pressure in my ears and coughs. Then I got a bit better (two weeks) then I felt burn/itch sensations in my skin (hands, trunk) for few days then I have developed white/yellow coating and also thrush from middle to back of my tongue which is not painful. I am very worried if I these symptoms are from HIV?
Your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV. What was your exposure?
I had few unprotected vaginal sex with sex workers in SE Asia including kissing.
I saw a doctor a week ago before I develop the thrush and doctor told me I have viral infection.  
having unprotected sex put you at risk for not only hiv but other stds as well.  the only way to know your status is by testing...3 months post your LAST exposure will give you a conclusive result.

UNTIL you are in a monogamous relationship where BOTH of you have tested...ALWAYS use condoms for penetrative vaginal/anal intercourse.  sex lasts a few minutes...HIV LASTS A LIFETIME ! ! !
Thanks LIZZIE and you are right. I had STD test today, day 18 (too early?), will find out about the results in few days.
Does anyone know if there is any charts that shows the possibility of showing symptoms against the elapsed days?
Like most people on this string of psuedo-emails, you performed some type of risky sexual behavior that exposes your chance of geting HIV and you want to know if thrush means you have HIV. I'm here to tell you, the answer is no. Here's my story...

It was the last day of class and we just finshed our finals. A classmate and I decided to celebrate and grab a pitcher. One thing led to another and I ended up giving my female classmate oral sex, followed by unprotected vaginal intercourse.

A few days after my escapade, I developed a sore throat. I also noticed that the back of my throat had white blotches and it hurt real bad. So, the day before school closed for Christmas break, I went to the health center to see if it's was strep. The nurse did a culture and the day the school closed, someone from the health center called and informed me that it was not strep. Curiously, my throat was still hurting. In fact, it hurt throughout the entire winter break.

By mid-January, my throat felt better, but then I developed what turned out to be Oral Thrush. Like many of you, I began to freak out. I read all these articles about Oral Thursh and HIV, plus I read hundreds of more articles on the web about this same issue. This just made me even more anxious.

To make a long story short, on the first day of Spring semester,  I finally got tested for HIV. But what scared me was, the school nurse said she couldn't give me the info over the phone. She said it was protocol that I make an appointment to see the doctor. Again, after reading several more articles, I thought for sure I had HIV because the doctor first told me she'd inform me over the phone, but later told me to make an appointment. Thank God, I was HIV negative.

So you ask, why did I write this long post? To do tell you (the concerned reader) 4 things: 1) Oral Thrush is not HIV and you can have it even if you're healthy; 2) You can get Oral Thrush from oral sex with a woman who knows or doesn't know she has a yeast infection; 3) the girl I had oral and vaginal sex with most likely had a yeast infection and either didn't tell me or didn't know (note: she had no unusual odor and she had no symptoms); and 4) the nurse wasn't willing to give me a negative result over the phone, despite an earlier conversation with the doctor who had said she would give me the results over the phone.

In closing, I have had sex with two other female classmates since the beginning of Spring semester. Stupid behavior - yes. Uncommon behavior - no. While my sexual experiences increases my chances of getting HIV, I have made it a strict personal policy to always use a condom and to refrain from oral sex until I'm in a long term and healthy relationship. It's a lot better than stressing out, reading everything on the internet and worrying.

I hope I helped out the many people who are worried that Oral Thrush means the have HIV. It doesn't. But, what this whole experience has taught me, have safe sex and don't have oral sex unless you absolutely know that person - and seeing someone in class for 3 months doesn't qualify as knowing them.

I have thrush and the meds the docter gave me is not working so is their anything eles I can do. I been washing my mouth out with mouth wash like every 30min and it is not helping and I can't really eat or drink or it well burn like hell so anyone can tell me what eles I can take or do
I am a 24 year old female. I had unprotected sex a few times with someone who also, afterward had unprotected sex with my sister. Long story short, we both knew the guy pretty well. He has 3 kids, seemingly healthy, and has had sex with a few other women that we know. My sister and I have been experiencing a few health problems lately and we are extremely concerned that he may have passed something on to us. I am a huge hypohypochondriac also and google all kinds of stuff that I fear I might have. Anyway, in the last few months, my sister and I both have been under a great deal of stress and have lost a significant amount of weight. I always had a problem losing weight until recently. I have somewhat lost my appetite, but I haven't done much to try to lose the weight. For the past 3 months, I have had swollen tonsils and it started out with white bumps all over the back of my throat. I was seen by the doctor then and he said it was strep. I was given 2 pills when seen and another 3 pills after. I took the remaining 2 pills, but missed my last one. The white bumps went away shortly after, and I began to feel better. However, my tonsils have remained swollen since. I was seen about 2 months ago by my ENT. He said my tonsils were swollen, but it wasn't severe enough for needing them removed. I have had some troubles with swallowing and a lot of phlem build-up occasionally in the back of my throat. At the time my strep was diagnosed and at the time when I was seen by my ENT, would they have known right away if it had actually been oral thrush? Also, I was informed a long while ago that my wisdom teeth might need to be removed. I have had no pain from my wisdom teeth, but do have a slight overlapping of my gums near my rear tooth on the right side. Could my wisom teeth be a contributing factor to why my tonsils are staying swollen? Could HIV be a possibility? I am really worried, but do not have health insurance and am afraid to go to the doctor for something that might really be nothing major. All symptoms I have recently experienced include: Weight loss, loss of appetite, nervousness, paranoia, sore tender breasts, bloating, slight fatigue, swollen tonsils, and I'm pretty sure my glands are swollen. I also have recently found several very small white bumps all around my mole on my arm pit. I actually think I even shaved a few off. What could be the cause for all these symptoms or is it just stress? Please help!
You can't be diagnosed over the internet. See your doctor for your concerns.
I may have had exposure about 3 weeks ago.....I have been so scared, I check my lymph nodes everyday every hour,  today I looked at my toubgue and mouth and saw what looked like thrush. I was devastated convinced I had hiv....reading this blog has set an ease to my mind thank you sooo much.  I haven't experienced flu like symptoms other than sore throat.  I'm still a bit nervous.  
I am having dry mouth and white tounge and almost am taking  antibiotic for my anti inflamation (inflammation) dose 200 mg for last 3 days as more i drink water more feel thirsty , am almost after 2 month exposure for unprotacted sex ( vagina and oral sex) , should i consider that as anything with hiv  ?