HIV Prevention Community
Practical assessment

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Practical assessment

I'm a Chinese from HK & had a protected vaginal sex with CSW in Guangdong of China on 26 July. Before the sex, she suggested to have a shower first. I initially asked for an oral sex and she replied affirmative if  a condom was put on. She then supplied a condom but I didn't check what brand it was or whether it was with latex or expired or otherwise. She later suggested to make love without performing an oral sex. The intercourse lasted for a short duration, say a couple of minutes or so.  I didn't notice that the condom was broken (if so, I presumed it'd be obvious) before she removed it with some tissues and then suggested  to take another shower. Although during the course the condom might be  'losened, the top remained intact at all times.

As to my history, I'm not sexual active but I regret to say that this was my second visit to CSW in China. The previous one was a unprotected one about 2 years ago and I did have a test with negative result after 3 months window period for the previous exposure. Although I understand that symptoms are meaningless from HIV exposure point of view, so far I've not experienced any of them. I've consulted with local testing service provider and they suggested me to do a test after 3 months for this incident. However, upon reading of the comments/advice in this forum, it is apparent that my risks are insignificant and perhaps testing is not required for practical purpose. If such is the case, other than for the benefit of peaceful mind, is there a need to get HIV test for this event? Would it make a difference as I did not know the 'status' of the condom?

I'm of course remorseful for the event happened again. As it is the second epiosode, I dared not disclose it to my wife and my family. I've just asked God for the mercy. May He be always with you.  God bless

Thanks & best regards.

Ignorant
Protected sex does not put you at risk for HIV and most other STDs
I just wish to conclude that there is no practical necessity (i.e, other than ease of anxiety, if any) for me to take a HIV test after the 3 months exposure for the situation as described above for reasons that it being a protected sex and myself not sexually active at all. I can just simply MOVE ON despite the local HIV testing service provider does suggest me to do it.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused if the question is repetitive.

Thanks & regards
Ignorant
Dear Teak

I apologise for my ignorance to have your name wrongly spelt and I look forward to your reply.

Thanks & regards
Ignorant
You were given the proper advice above. You were not at risk of contracting HIV.
Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers