HIV Prevention Community
Really need some advice please...thanks so much for reading.

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Hello. I'm a 28 year old female. A little over 3 months ago I had unprotected sex with my ex-boyfriend. I asked him to go for an HIV test and he told me he went for it and that his results were negative. His last sexual encounter before he slept with me was 6 months ago. So his test didn't fall within the window period. I decided to however go for a test exactly 12 weeks and a few days after my last sexual encounter with him. It was a rapid test and according to the nurse I spoke to, a "strip test". She said something about allowing the blood sample to clot before conducting the test. I received the results 20 minutes later. I was tested for HIV 1 and 2. My blood sample was extracted using a syringe.
HIV Negative.

I am however a bit worried because I'm African and I took the test in Africa (supposed to be one of the biggest hospitals in my country) . My confusion stems from the window period fr this test...rapid strip test. Also was it a 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation test? Do rapid 1st generation tests still exist? Can I trust my 12 week HIV negative test??? I'm soooo worried. Please help!!! Thanks so much. I will never ever trust anyone unless Im physically present when he is taking the HIV test.

Post Extras:          
ThAnks for your response Teak but the incident described above is a separate one. The incident I'm referring to is in relation to my boyfriend, now ex and I asked him to go for a test which he claims he did. In hindsight I realised he could have lied and stood sleeping with him. Consequently broke up and I got tested at the 12 week mark. I'm worried about the window period ie if a rapid HIV 1 and 2 antibody strip test using a blood sample qualifies as a 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation test and therefore falls within the 12 Mark time frame? Thanks so much,
Your 3 month post exposure test is conclusive.
Thanks a lot once again Teak. I've heard that 1st generation tests aren't very reliable  and I wanted to confirm if the rapid test is a 1st generation test (thus unreliable) or a 2nd generation test? Or possibly 3rd generation. Thank you for your patience.
There are no first generation test but if there were they would be conclusive at 3 months post exposure.
Okay, I assume you mean 1st generation tests no longer exist? Because I understand that 1st generation tests were or are the traditional and earliest forms of testing? This stuff is a bit confusing. I won't ask any more questions after this one. Once again and for the last time, thank you very much for your help.