HIV Prevention Community
Red Dots

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Red Dots

Has anyone ever heard of tiny red dots on your body as being a symptom? i have about 15--20 scattered across my body. They are tiny, like smaller than freckles...but bright red...they are scattered, not clumped together

Very worried about this now...i did test negative at 44 days (6 wks, 2 days)..but now that these have been popping up, i'm very scared...

Also, continue to have the pain in both feet/ankles...

Anyone shed any light on the bright red dots/specs??
Fitt4... First off... Happy Holidays...  

Secondly, a 6 week test is definitive.  Stress is overwhelming you and you are overly analying everything.  Chill out and enjoy the holidays.
You had a negative test at 6 weeks.  Go to your doctor to try to find out why you have the red dots and sore feet.  It isn't from HIV.

Happy holidays!  And stop worrying!
Should i be one of those to be worried of not showing positive till a later date? (ie:" after six weeks?")

that's what's scaring me!
If your doctor isn't worried about HIV, why should you be?
There have never been examples of PN showing up this soon after infection? Are we sure of that?

I'm not COVERED in the dots -- there are about 10 of them scattered on my body. Like tiny bright red freckles....(and yes, i'm not sure if there were there prior)....and the pain comes and goes...like i said, sometimes its one foot, sometimes its both feet/ankles...today, weirdly enough, it feels as if my big toe is asleep...weird, i know.

I'm just hoping that my :15-:20 mistake hasn't ruined me. Still holding out hope that my 6 week neg is reliable.

It takes years for peripheral neuropathy to develop, Fitt.  And did you know that PN is much more common in other diseases?  You yourself also said in another post that you weren't sure if the red dots were there before, and that you might just be noticing them now.

Worry and agonize if you want to.  I personally would be much more worried about other diseases, if you are truly covered with tiny red dots and have severe pain in your feet.  I like you, and am really sorry that you are overcome with fear of an extremely unlikely illness like HIV.  HIV obsession seems to take hold of people and makes them miserable with constant fear.  

If you are now covered in tiny red dots and have severe pain in your feet, why on earth would you not go back to the doctor to follow up on this stuff?  Don't be afraid that your doctor will think you're a hypochondriac.  Let the doctor examine you and determine if you have any need to be worried about anything else.  

I hope the New Year can find you more settled about this.  Best of luck.
I'm trying to take trust in my doc's words, believe me.

He never saw the tiny red specs on my body, though.

But, he did tell me if "he were me, he wouldn't even go for another test..."  I did feel good after the neg results for like 2 days, until foot pain came back (but i know how y'all feel about the foot stuff!!!!)

its just when you read about things like peripheral neuropathy, it plays with ur mind...
What are we going to do with you, Fitt???

It will be negative.  I hope your mind will finally be at peace then.
What would cause PN?  I had an HIV scare myself, but it came up negative at 14 weeks.  That said; I have noticed the tiny red dots on my body as well.  It appears that more dots have appeared with in the last month.  I have also felt lathargic for about 4 weeks now.  I tested negative for mono.
I was worried that the pain in both of my feet/ankles could be hiv-induced PN? I'm at 11 weeks since my encounter -- but everyone on here is saying PN couldn't surface that quickly...

I was just looking for thoughts on that.
..and tonight...the pain in both my feet, on the soles, is ridiculous....what else can it be? i keep telling myself i tested neg at 6 weeks....but it's driving me crazy...i didn't do anything to injure myself, and was 100% healthy prior to this...neuropathy just keeps racing thru my mind...

About a million other things.  Go here:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/red_spots.htm

Allergy to medications, leukemia, thrombocytopenia, trauma, the list goes on and on.  There can also be tiny red spots that occur naturally for no known reason.

If someone has had a negative test for HIV, then the red spots cannot be due to it.
I know that i have tested negative, but I have been unable to enjoy my results due to lingering issues.  Petechiae is one of the issues and lacking energy is the other.  I believed that stress caused the former, but it never went away when I tested negative.  I was tested for mono and my blood count was tested about a month ago and mono came up negative.  My blood count was off due to a viral infection.  I actually went and got tested fopr HIV after I found out that i had a virus and it came out negative.
I'm just dealing with the foot/ankle pain, the 10 or so bright red dots, and the white stuff on the back of my tongue.

I want to take what my urologist (who said "move on") and almost everyone on here says too ("move on", "dont' worry")..

but its tough when i have random foot pain, and i know i didn't "injure" it any other way.....im holding out hope its anxiety or something like that
What would cause Petechiae (tiny red dots), aside from HIV?  I have about 20 on my body that have appeared recently.  I tested negative for HIV at 14weeks, so it has to be something else.
How bad are your counts? Viral infection won't fail your blood test. Check to ensure it's not blood disorder. your platelet is low..
I also have tiny red dots. They dont stay for long, a few days maybe. BUT...I also had these tiny red dots before I started worrying about HIV so I am quite sure that it is nothing to worry about!!!!
Thanks!
I hope they're nothing to worry about -- they are bright tiny, freckle like things - very small - scattered around - who knows? i may have had them prior.....tested neg at 6 weeks, but still have anxiety
You should have your liver checked out. The red dots can be a sig of a liver problem. Get tested for hepatitis B and C, it's a blood test. Have your doctor order it.
Right! Barely higher is not alarming. I've looked at many blood works of blood disorder patients, they're way out. Do another hiv test if u stil feel disturbed.
I had a followup appointment today and the doctor that evaluated me said that the red dots were cherry angiomas.  Not sure, how he could tell the difference just be looking? He also looked at my blood test results and said that they were pretty normal.  I am not sure what the exact figure was, but he said that my Lymphocytes were a little high but nothing to worry about.  The number was .3 higher that normal.  The doctor that reviewed my bloodwork originally looked at my Lymphocytes and assumed that I had a viral infection because it explained my fatigue, the reason for my visit.      Would HIV cause barely elevated Lymphocyte levels?
As mentioned above 'liver' problems do cause this and I often find I have them after drinking a lot of alcohol so that could also be your explanation?