HIV Prevention Community
Testing Advice

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Testing Advice

Hello, I'm a young woman who had an affair (as in a casual thing) with a man I met at work. We met up a few times, never had penetrative sex (since I'm not comfortable with that unless I have strong feelings for the other person), and we would stick to kissing and oral. As he did on me, I perfomed oral on him several times WITHOUT protection, most of the time he would "come" in my mouth and at least three or four times I swallowed his semen.
Some weeks ago he tested positive for HIV and calle me to give me the news. I tested right away, around 3 weeks after our last encounter (in which I DID swallow) and it came out negative. They told me it was still to early to tell and to come back at 6 weeks after my last encounter. This was today, I took a regular antibody only test which also came back negative. My doctor said it was good since I was low risk and and that I didn't need further teting. Then, after I asked him if this was conclusive even if my sexual partner had recently tested positive for HIV and assuming he was in a very infectious stage, he changed his face and advised me to test at 9 weeks and then again at 12 weeks for conclusive results.
I also did a screening for other STDs at week 3 with my first HIV test, and I came out positive for Chlamydia, which was succesfully treated with antibiotics.

My questions are:

1. Why did the dr change his mind? (doesn't he have to advice the same procedure to every case?)

2. Did Chlamydia put me at a higher risk of contracting HIV?

3. I used braces for a long time when I was younger and still wear retainers at night, they changed them some time ago and my gums were swollen and bled easily for some days (one of which I performed oral sex), would this also increase my chances of catching HIV? (Specially since I had brushed my teeth like 10-15 minutes prior to the encounter and bled a little.)

4. IF he (my sexual partner) had any sort of lesion in his mouth, would that also have put me at a higher risk when he perfomed oral on me?

5. When will I be able to trust my results?

Also I should add that I've had no symptoms whatsoever.
Thank you in advance for your input on my situation.
You never had a risk of contracting HIV from oral sex.
Not even in regards to having Chlamydia or sores in my gums/tongue/mouth?
Not even if.
Well, that's a relief.
So I assume no further testing is needed?
No you do not need testing.
I said in not trying to argue I'm here because I'm curious I'm here to listen and ask questions I jus wanted to kno how u guys kno so much about it that your answers are 100%
Thanks Teak, I'm relieved there's this type of access to experts.

barry56, I trust the experts. I think Medhelp is a reputable site and I doubt people would be giving false information or advice on such a well known platform. The doctors on here are well known. Hope this perspective helps you listen to their advice; when we're not familiarized with something it's difficult to know wheter the information we're given is right or not, or if it's actual or outdated. I surely believe what this people are talking about.

xoxo,
VS
You're welcome.