HIV Prevention Community
This is a strange

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

This is a strange

I want to confess that being on this site and reading posts is becoming my addiction.
even after my 17 weeks test I am still confused because of ifs and buts in test results language.
Daily once I used to come here and like try to relate my sysmptoms with new posts.
I am noticing new thing like many people are coming here with persisted symptoms(more than 5-10+) weeks like white tongue,swollen nodes,rash,fatigue etc after a sexual encounter but test negative.
So what is this infection??
anybody had such experience ?? any input??
coz
I am going to reiterate what Dr. H says to sooo many people when the "realization" of HIV is NOT the actual problem:

"I suggest a mental health professional, not out of criticism, but out of compassion".

It is time you sought the help of a doctor,...and I do not mean a HIV specialist.

Brian
I have been reading this forum for the past few months. But I also don't get an straight answer...

I have read that some antibody screening detects mainly HIV1 SUBTYPE B... We are GLOBAL and people can easily travel from one place to another .... Shouldn't the screening tests provide accurate results for ANY HIV subtype?

I had a drunken heterosexual unprotected vaginal exposure with a CSW from Malaysia back in OCT 2006 and had all the symptons starting mid NOV 2006... really bad flu with lot's of mucous, diarrhea, dermatitis, nightsweats, chills, burning neck, sore throat, did not pay much attention to it thinking it was just the flu! Most of the symptoms went away except diarrhea, sore throat and dermatitis so end of APRIL 2007 I decided to look up these symptons online and surprise HIV came up! Right away I went to my PCP to get a STD/HIV panel done... ALL negative...I did not trust the results and begged my doctor to do another HIV1/2 Screening and again came back negative...

I still have diarrhea, sore throat, dermatitis today and can't find an answer to my problem except questiong the HIV results because it did not screen for subtype E wich is comon in Malaysia.

1)- Should I question these results because the test was done on a second, third or other that does not screen for other subtypes?
2)- Should we know/contact the lab with these questions?
3)- If HIV is not my problem then why I'm still having these problems? I know people say that your head can do that to you... but I had these symptons even before associatiog it with ANYTHING!

Thanks,
just trying to get answers...
See a doctor for your concerns. HIV is not your problem, you are negative.
See... that is always the answer I see on this forum...

Why see a doctor if no one can say for sure if ALL BLOOD LAB tests are screened for all subtypes(clades)?

Couldn't the "test" be failing to test for subtypes other than B?
No..
Are you saying NO because you are SURE that all US lab approved screening test for HIV1 today tests for all subtypes?

I have seen many posts saying "check with lab"...
Je,Je,Je... I dont know if is HIV dementia or what, but lately everytime I read a post I just cant stop laughing... and what is even better are the answers from brian and teak...

"seek counseling"
"hiv is not your problem"
"no way, no how"
Hilarious!!!

What is truly strange is having all these symptoms...
see I was just trying to ask about a new subtype or something...
and our body is not able to recognise as a foreign substance so no antibody??
I am just afraid about our little knowledge about this virus.I wish I can say that my results were 100% not 98 or 99%.

Even doctors will go by symptoms and again they will ask for xxx test and then nowhere because my symptoms are non specific.

anyway I am just waiting for some more time to know 100%.
bye guys and take care
coz
I'm not even talking about a NEW subtype... but how we make sure that the "test" really tests for all existing subtypes not only B.

There are so many tests out there for screening that you will never know... and that is why we keep having symptoms that wont go away...
Did you know placebo effect? It's just like this. In the past, hysteria, Doctor Freud, can you remind? Just the greatful power of mind.
I don't think that is strange. Strange, very strange, is placebo effect. And here you are. It exist, and science believe in it. Try with a specialista help forget the disease, and i pretty sure and the symptoms just go away.
I had all these symptoms BEFORE I even attached them to HIV symptoms and got tested.... I'm just not sure that a US based screening would always test for all different HIV subtypes...
If you have been having these symptoms for almosrt a year what is your doctor say?
I had GI tests done... and they only found blastocystis hominis which there are questions about if it causes Diarrhea. But I read here that 50% of HIV people suffer with it.

Sore throat releated to my GI "problem".

Stiff neck I had a month of physical therapy and it's still there...

Maybe I should go to a different doctor for a second opinion...
you have blastocystis hominis and still thinking in Hiv. Are you crazy man? Stiff neck is a rare too rare rare rare rare disease, i don't know  anybody that has. give me a break. but by the way, i always visited two or three doctors. Go for a second opinion is a good advice, but, by no means, you certainly don't have hiv. keep this in mind.
Save your money and seek help from a mental health professional as to way you can't or won't accept your negative results.
just a general question.
does sutype matter or everybody will have the antibodies after 13 weeks??
I have asked the lab about the bands they have tested.
may be in the evening I will have the information.
Maybe there are some new form of undiagnosis chronic viral disease out there? I hope this is not some new strain of hiv. The worst part is there seems to be more and more people walking around with these lingering symptoms and were not able to get a proper diagnosis from any doctors out there, unforturnately they will be often considered as having some kind of psychological problems instead.
Teak is indeed right.
I did seek mental health advice ... but to me was a waste o my money... I have diarrhea 2-3 times per week.... burning neck  and light sore throat every day... not even talking about the headaches etc...

I'm don't think I'm a mental case for the fact that i'm not thinking about a NEW strain of virus just wondering if I was tested/screened correctly for all HIV1 subtypes... because my risky exposure was in Malaysia (South East ASIA).

I'm going to find an ID doc for a second opinion.

hey guys
i got tested with western blot
FOR TYPE 1-
ENVELOPE ANTIGENS  GP41,GP160,GP120
CORE ANTIGENS-P17,P24,P39,P55
POL ANTIGENS-P31,P66,P51
FOR TYPE2-
ANTIGEN-GP36
all nagative at week 17.....
this includes all subtypes or not........
please put your comments
coz