HIV Prevention Community
antibodies

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

antibodies

does everyone produce antibodies for hiv, you read that 95 percent is at 3 month and 99 percent at 6 months, it all depends on the web site you hit on those figures but no where does it say 100 percent would produce antibodies, if anyone knows a website that says that please direct me. thanks
  • pcr dna (17 replies):
    can anyone name a prc dna test that detects group N?
  • Testing query (23 replies):
    I guys I am from Mumbai..recently I did an HIV test know...[more]
  • HIV SUPPORT (4 replies):
    Are there people out there that would like a group for e...[more]
  • HIV test (6 replies):
    Hello is it possibble that test can't show up the ant...[more]
  • LIZZIE LOU (15 replies):
    thank you,go to work.i'm being on the forom all the time...[more]
no one will give a 100%
so what does that mean, not all people will produce antibodies?
For all practical purposes, nearly everyone is going to produce antibodies to an invading virus, whether it be flu, chicken pox or HIV. This is what the immune system does, nonbeliever. When it senses a foreign invader, it produces antibodies whose job is to then attach to and consume the offending microbes (in this case, virii).

So, now back to the "nearly everyone" statement. There are certain cases where the immune system is so severely depressed that it will not produce antibodies. When might this be the case, you are probably asking yourself. Typically, those in chemotherapy may not produce antibodies, and nor would those who have had an organ transplant (they are given anti-rejection drugs that suppress the immune system). Let's see, long term injection drug users may also not produce antibodies, and perhaps those suffering from advanced AIDS.

The importance of this for most posters on this forum, and the salient fact, is that most HIV tests are testing for the presence of antibodies, and so, many wonder, even after a conclusive negative, if they are in the very small minority of people who may not be properly producing antibodies, and thus, may still be HIV positive, even though the test is negative.

Ah, well, this is not a real concern, for the main reason that if you were in this small minority of people who did not produce antibodies in a timely manner, you would almost certainly know it already. You would be very ill, and wouldn't be spending much time visiting forums such as these.

So, if you are worried that you are a member of the group described above, you aren't. Trust me.
thanks for the reply, i also had a pcr rna to make sure that if i didnt produce antibodies i would have a viral load, it was undectable, 4 neg hiv antibody test, i have to admit it did enter my mind about me not producing antibodies but i do agree i would most likely know .
best post i seen in months. i owe you a case of miller light.
Thanks for the fantastic insight Xhost.

Why would someone take upto 18 mnths to seroconvert like some people have reported on this forum recently? Is this also due to a severly depressed immune system?
i never read anyone seroconverting at 18 months
official point (us cdc),you can find they said 6mos.if you did some read on window period,google "window period" you also can find different points on window period.some one said up to 10years?this is not official point,so you needn't to believe it.test negative at 6mos,if you no more re-exposure again,you are negative for life.
tested neg at 11 months,  by eia that covers all of group m and o and hiv 2
did it cover group N ?some experts(doctors) said that group N couldn't be tested,did you hear that?
havent heard that but dont know if it does, i thought it was limited to camaroon . the web site i saw on the specific eia test i took said it covered the broadest range of hiv types
which type of hiv couldn't be tested?
i dont think any of them couldnt be tested, n group has not been detected anywhere but camaroon , hiv 1 has group m and o , group m has lots of subtypes and than there is hiv 2, most 3rd gen and 4th gen will catch all of group m , i think. my test was a bio rad hiv1/hiv2 plus O test, sensitivity 100 percent (99.84-100 percent)
some people whom had symptoms which couldn't be explained,maybe due to type N.hiv has been detected in western countries at first,now have been detected all the world. type N came form camaroon,i think it maybe stared to transmit all the world .
i believe the test did cover n group