HIV Prevention Community
hiv 3 generation antibody test accuracy

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

hiv 3 generation antibody test accuracy

hello
i posted ago ago about a possibly exposure through oral sex, even though they told me here i had no risk i've got anxiety issues ive discussed in the anxiety forums.
my counselor, who i will see two times a week for a month due to my high levels of angst around this situation, has told me we should see how my anxiety levels change after i see a negative result. she thinks testing at 3 months is too high a risk for my mental and physical health due to my anxiety levels that are interferring with my normal life and relations with others. so i wanted to a when was the EARLIEST one can take an hiv test with reliable results??

I called the lab and the lady told me the only info she has is they use a 3 generation regular antibody test (hiv-1/hiv-2)

Today it's exactly 6 weeks after my possible exposure (oral sex with ejaculation in the mouth).
Should I wait until 8 weeks? (thats what i read in the experts forum)
I know what you said, but this is a mental health issue were talking about. the problem is my anxiety is so high i cant seem to believe the experts or the doctors, thats why my therapist wants me to get tested so i can react to an actual negative result. im still finding hard to believe i didnt have an exposure. if you really believe what you said i dont think youd mind me testing, as you know the results beforehand. but i as an individual who needs help and reassurance, i want to know when its the earliest i can test in order to trust my (we hope) negative results.
This is not a mental health forum.
Im not asking a mental health question. im asking when can i get an antibody test so i can get a clear picture of my results before 3 months. thats an hiv question.
Since you're only testing for peace of mind, not because you actually had a risk, it doesn't really matter.  The docs will tell you that 8 weeks is sufficient, we will tell you that 3 months is when a person can obtain definitive results.

You will have to decide what you want to do.  Hopefully you can continue working with the therapist and finally put this behind you.
You don't have an HIV concern, so there is no need to discuss testing for HIV.