HIV Prevention Community
need expert advice

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

need expert advice

I didn't listen to guys here and tested after hand job incident.  Bioaciences sent results as HIV rna-1 detected with viral load <20.  They gave no viral load count and log said no numeric value given.  Antibody came back negative at 7 1/2 weeks.  Before this incident I had unprotected vaginal sex and tested negative six months later.  What are the chances that the lab, prom lab, online service, or bio science, did not indicate the correct result and accidently put RNA detected instead of undetected, since no viral load count was present and I'm not on antiviral drugs.  Could I be an elite controller?  Thanks much for your time and advice.
It's a false+.

Now, you've opened an unnecessary can of worms.  You do not have HIV.

You would be smart to seek therapy rather than continue to test for HIV.
You never had a risk--move on
Thank you, Rain.  Could I have contracted it in the past and be an elite controller without antiviral medication?  But the ab would still be positive in that case, correct?
You didn't contract anything and your test was negative--you are reading to much rubbish on the internet--stop being a googlenut.
I hear that, the pom lab tech said he's only seen RNA detected with viral load <20 with people who are on antiviral meds.  They said it could just be a false positives or lab error and offered me a free retest.  Will have to wait a week for new results.  Bummer, should've listened to Teak and not done the RNA test.  Sucks for an anxiety nut like myself.
Ignore that result,it means nothing at all--you never had a risk--I really don't think many of you posters realize how difficult HIV is to aquire.
I know it sounds irrational, but I'm just afraid one of the clinics at 3 week RNA, which came back negative, could used a reused syringe.  I know you here paranoia like this all the time here, but I had cold sores and hair loss shortly after, with joint and muscle aches.  And 4 weeks after that I did the RNA test through another place and they showed the RNA detected, yet no viral load number.  So maybe it is just paranoia, but I'd they did use a reused during, theoretically speaking of course, that would give me almost a five week negative antibody.  Would that be pretty reliable and an indicator that the RNA with no viral count, just states detected, was wrong?  Thanks again for your time and expert advice.  Appreciated.
Sorry for the grammar mistakes. A little anxious, meant to say if they did use a reused syringe.
They don't re-use syringes & the RNA was negative.
Then how come bioscience says RNA was detected but below 20 and no viral load count was given?  Dont mean to be a pest, you can see how anxiety can arise from a result like that.
This is what the log reads below RNA detected for hiv-1.  Unable to calculate result since non-numeric result
>>> obtained for                               | |
>>> | |        component test.

I spoke with a doctor at their lab, he said given my risk, the RNA detected was probably a false positive and he doesn't recommend this test for that reason. Hmmm.  So confused.  No viral load count, not on anti viral drugs, yet RNA for HIV 1 was detected?  Hoping it's just false positive and this post will help someone who's consider a test with LA Corp bioscience.  They suck!
Meant labcorp.  Damn autocorrect.
below 20 is negative
Thanks rain.  Yet those guys at biosciences still claim HIV1 RNA was detected, even though viral load number was not given or shows <20.   They Dont want to admit that they marked the results wrong, I guess.  Waiting anxiously for confirmation test.
Rain, this is how it reads.

>>> | |      Tests                            Results            Units
>>>      Reference Interval    Lab      | |
>>> | |     RNA, Real Time PCR (Graph)
>>>                                     | |
>>> | |      HIV-1 RNA by PCR                 >>                            01       | |
>>> | |                       HIV-1 RNA detected
>>> | |                                                              .
>>> | |        The reportable range for this assay is 20 to 10,000,000
>>> | |        copies HIV-1 RNA/mL.
>>> | |      log10 HIV-1 RNA
>>> | |         Unable to calculate result since non-numeric result
>>> | |        component test.
>>> | |      Serial Monitoring                                   WILL
>>> FOLLOW                          02       | |
>>> | |     *** END OF REPORT ***
>>> |
They don't know what there doing or what they are talking about--go test elsewhere,actually don't test again--you had no risk.
Under units it shows <20
Thats not reactive--move on.
They jus called me to tell me they're pulling my worksheet to see what the assay showed after I threatened them with a lawsuit, since they won't give me a viral load count.  Said they'll get back to me tomorrow. Bastards!  
What VL count?You don't have one,you're negative.
That's what I said.  He said they will pull your worksheet and compare what the assay testing reported.  From the report I got today it showed <20 under units, as posted above.  Are they pulling my chain or was that test partially conclusive?
That RNA is not reactive--let it go.
Rain, I read the test the same way you did, viral load below 20 = non reactive, but they put HIV RNA1 detected on the result and told me iI tested positive for the RNA with < 20 viral load.  Makes no subject sense to me.  See the report I posted.
Get professional help.

You never had a risk, you're wasting your own time, and the lab's time.  There's a VERY good reason why we don't recommend testing for NO risk situations, and not OVER testing...because when something happens and a test is not negative, or test results are confusing, you've just lit a fire under your anxiety.

Enough already!!!!
NG is spot on,if you test for a no risk situation you could find that the test might throw out a false positive & that will make matters worse.The best thing you can do is forget about this lab,you know you don't have HIV and focus on some therapy to get better and remove your fears.All the best.
Well... they called back and said they detected 7-20 copies.  They said it could be a false positive.  Possible I had it from another exposure in the past and I'm an elite controller?  
It's a false+.

Thank you guys. The lab is doing a free retest for RNA because the antibody came back negative and they feel bad for me, low count and my exposure and my calls prompted them to run another test.  What are the chances this highly sensitive test will pick up something again.  Should I tell them not to do it since my viral load was under 20 and antibodies were negative?  @teak, any advice?
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ! ! !
Please don't ask about this anymore.  You were told not to get tested in the first place because you did not have a risk - people here told you, and I believe you also asked in the Expert Forum.  No one is going to tell you that you should now RE-TEST, because you did not need to test at all.  

You are now wasting the time of our kind volunteers who answer questions - they need to move on and answer questions from other members who deserve a response.  You are also wasting precious moments of your life worrying about a disease that you do NOT have.
As promised to moderators, this will be last post.  Wanted to write this in case other worry wells like myself saw this post.  The lab retested and came back RNA under 20 which means undetected.  They fell short of admitting the previous test was mislabeled and should've been undectected since viral load was below 20.  Whatever they found before was a false positive.  End of my rant.  Thank you everyone for your knowledge and support.  Best regards.
Experts, I apologies for taking up your valuable time again and I promise this will be my last question. The doctor at bioscience is driving me nuts, the rerun they did came back RNA not detected but he said he saw copies under 20.  I'm not sure if they're qualified to run these tests at this point. He said he's seen cases like my test where elite controllers showed no antibody and low viral load and said I need to do a DNA test now to be sure.  They called me when I put this behind me.  The naat test I did at men's wellness center came back negative after their tests.  When I told the counselor that I tested for RNA detected with another lab that uses the latest Roche, he asked me to do RNA again. I did an or quick at 9 weeks after exposure and that was also not detected, this was the in home test.  I'm about to sleep with my girlfriend and she wants a baby.  Can I do this without worrying about infecting her?  3 weeks RNA undetected, 5 weeks antibody negative, 6 weeks RNA detected under 20, another one following right after undetected yet graph showed viral load mark at 40 copies(bioscience again). 7 weeks RNA not detected and 9 weeks oraswab negative. Thanks again and please be patient with me. I'm going through a lot and need a definitive answer before I risk my girlfriends and my future baby.  Do you think I should take the doctors advice and do the DNA test to make sure I'm not some elite controller?  Best Regards, googlenut.
My immune tests also came back with WBC at 5.6 from 4.0 to 11, which indicates a drop or lower than average white blood cell count?  Possible that my body is fighting the virus and that's why I have body aches and fatigue?  
You do not have an HIV concern.