HIV Prevention Community
unlikely if only had sex once???

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

unlikely if only had sex once???

ive read a few places that it is unlikely to get hiv from one exposure, is this true? and why is this?
it is just a statistical probability.  clearly you can get infected from one encounter.  it is one exposure that infects someone.  
there you go another ww posting to give advice
There's nothing wrong with a worriedwell posting advice, as long as it is correct information-but it is suffice to say, most prefer and feel more reassured by a moderators answer.
I think all of us once were worried well.   I've read some posts from some of you 3 months back.
agin OPEN FOURM post what you like
Correct Chris. I guess I meant to say most prefer and feel more reassured by the few here that have consistently given correct replies and are considered the most reputable and the most knowledgeable on the subject of HIV.
teak only, or dr fourm
Wait for 12 months after close contact with someone who is at an increased risk for HIV infection. This occurs when paying to have sex, as a result of rape, or when having sex with an IV drug user
i was reading the dr. forum and he said even if the person was HIV+ that it was unlikely to be infected with only one encounter.

is this true?
Would you want to take a chance and find out?
everyone can call me a ww all they want.  i had a real exposure and have been dealing with a lot of symptoms ever since.  it certainly doesn't make me stupid.  i just very paranoid at this time in my life.  believe me, i was never like this before.

to jake, the docs say it is unlikely because it is...based on stats.  Some people can have sex with someone hundreds of times and never get hiv even if the other person is infected.  another person may get it the first time with an infected person.  there is no simple answer...it is all about statistical probability...doc loves this ****.  well, there is a 1 in 2000 chance you'd get infected and you are neg at 4 wks, so this means you have a 1 in 1,000,000 chance.  this sounds like you are home free and then that person tests pos at 3 mos...wow, they must have bad luck.  bottom line, if you are concered test until you feel comfortable.
im just curious b/c i had unprocted sex about 2 months ago and i am still kind of worrying...

just trying to ease my mind
It is related to chance, but also related to risk. Receptive anal sex is the most risky in terms of possible transmission. Also, the viral load of the person that the sex occurred with is also a very important factor in the risk of infection.