Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Alopecia Areata

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Alopecia Areata

I am a female and just turned 29. I was diagnosed a couple of months ago with Alopecia Areata, where the immune system attacks the hair folicles. My hair has been thinning drastically for close to two years and I've developed a huge bald spot back behind my right ear. It was completely smooth like I had taked a razor to it. Now there is a spot almost as bald on the left front by my forehead. My dermatolgist has been giving me steroid injections and prescribed a corticosteroid ointment along with menoxidil. These things he has prescribed are moderately improving the bald spot on the back, but he has never even mentioned the thinning all over my head. Will this be permanent? I am honestly surprised I even have any hair left on my head. I probably lose at least a hundred haird a day. Maybe more.

Also, I have Multiple Sclreosis, and I read how auto-immune diseases can make this disease much worse. But my dermatologist and my neurologis both think one has nothing to do with the other.

There has to be another way to get my hair back. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Thanks,

B
The good news is that in most cases when there is a late onset of alopecia the hair is more likely to grow back. You may find that you get more patches of alopecia I would suggest that if you aren't comfortable with being bald, as most women aren't, you should look into getting a synthetic wig to start.

Best of Luck
~S.A.
Hello and how are you this fine evening, well let me tell you I had and still have alopecia areata; since I was seventeen years old. The first time I lost all of my hair it toke a whole year for it all to come out; yes I was (BALD) and I had the most prettiest hair any one could have, it was dark red ( dark alburn), thick as can be and long with big waves in it. That was twenty-four years ago and they did not know what was causing it to come out and I got shots in my head and that hurt and cost a lot of money, so that did not last long try all different things to try to make my hair grow back and plus all the money on wig ,weaves ,scarfs and hats. So my hair grew back and came out again and grew back again and God its coming out again and it has not came out in a long time, it really never came back 100%, but the hair that did come back was thick so it cover the bald areas  and its pass my shoulders and the pass two months it been coming out bad. I think it has a lot to do with my thyroids I use to be hyperthyroid with graves and a toxic goiter ; got that treated and now I am hypothyroid and iI been off my medicine for a while but I have been taking it now for about three months now. I think when I take my medicine my hair start to fall out , because when I don't my hair did not fall out at all. What a choice take medicine and be Bald or don't take medicine and be very sick. My doctor is going to have to come up with something for me I can not take it again being BALD. Twenty-four years is a long time to go though this on top of everything else I have been though.

PS. I know that I had no answers for you, but just let you know you are not a lone.

Take care
                                                                                         Diana
Hi B...
I feel your pain...I am 39 and have been experiencing the very same thing for 3 years.  This happened before after my daughter was born in 97 and lasted 3 years.  It's back!!!  I take Biotin...it's a vitamin OTC...it says its for hair and nails...it makes my nails grow...not sure if it helps the hair but may be worth a shot.  I also take oral prendisone along w head shots of it and also topical...idk...now aside from the spots mines thinning overall...this is new.
Nice to finally "talk" to someone who gets what I'm saying.  Most ppl that arent there haven't a clue how this feels.
Take care,
Rita
I know how painful is that.
I always hear about garlic for alopecia . Dont surprise alot of people get cured in a short time by using it.
I know how it smell . But its smell wasnt a problem if the hair will come back.
I hope you will have your hair soon.
I had heard that alopecia goes by itself some day and it doesnt damage the follices
I've just started trying LDN. Apparently it can cure the alopecia but only from what I've read. Also meant to be amazing for ms. Worth loOking into? Go to the official LDN site to ask how to get a prescription or for advice.
I'm 24 soon to be 25... A few months ago I found a slight bald patch at the back of my neck so I put it down too a hair bobble being to tight eventually my hair came back... I wasn't worried at all until a couple of days ago I noticed it had come back along with another in my head... A lot of my hair comes out usually now I know why. It is the weekend so I haven't seen my GP just yet but I am very concerned as I am medication for severe depression and already after a couple days this has began to worry me a lot. I have thick dark brown hair very thick actually so I am able to hide it ATM but I put my hand through my hair and get a handful of hair. Iv been told it is probably alopecia and it seems likely as I do have a very low immune system which the doctor claims is because of the depression. I'm just scared to lose my whole head of hair although I know it will grow back quickly it still scares me and I'm not sure how I will deal with that or even getting more patches cos the two I have are already pretty irritated I'm just hoping it is because hair is trying to grow back

Thank you for reading and would love a reply of some advice or support even x