Itchy Scalp
Hi I’m African American and I have a patch on my scalp where the hair falls out completely when I comb my hair regularly. However when I put braids in(so that the hair is not physically combed for a while) the patch of hair grows out extremely quickly, faster than the rest of my hair into a little puff. When I take the braids out and start combing it again regularly, the hair falls out completely down to a bald patch again. It also itches constantly. Do you know what is going on?
I am also an african american who experienced the very same thing about 18=20 months ago.  However, after trying braids and then taking them down again I did not experience the hair loss again. I went to my physican and explained what was going on with me.  He had some lab work done on me and came back good.  Also, I thought it could have been a fungal infection on my scalp-- but it was not.  He prescribed for me to use a medicated shampoo to use daily for a few weeks-for the itchiness, no braids and a B12 vitamin to go along with my multi-vitamin I was already taking daily.  After a couple of months my hair started to grow-a little fuzz and now it's back. Not sure if you are wearing hair extentions but if so you may considered refraining from that for a while as well as hair relaxers and consider wearing hair natural until hair loss subsides and hair recovery happens.  Invest in GOOD hair conditioner and a stylist that's about healthy hair. Hope this helps.
A.A.