Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Spironolactone or Finasteride?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Spironolactone or Finasteride?

This question is not really about hair loss even thought the Doc who is a Endocrinologist is prescribing Finasteride.
I'm 26 and a type1 diabetic, I have been taking Spironolactone for its anti-androgenic properties. I started taking 50 daily the drug was increased to the level of 200mg daily with no noticeable side effects. Then About 2 weeks after going up to 200mg I started to notice "muscle spasms" and "sore joints" I told my Endo and he recommended that I replace the 200mg Spironolactone with 5mg Finasteride. I have read that the two drugs work in different was of blocking testosterone. again I am looking for the drugs for there anti-androgenic properties and in the near future will be placed on (E2 or 17β-estradiol,) or something like it.

My question is, is Finasteride a suitable replacement for Spironolactone?
Or are there better alternatives? Or should I continue on the 200mg Spironolactone and see if the symptoms go away?

Thanks for your help!