Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Suddenly losing clumps of hair, 60 year old female

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Hi Doctors,

I am posting on behalf of my mom.  She turned 60 a few months ago and now all of a sudden started to lose clumps of hair.  Losing hair is not a problem, but it's come so suddenly and not gradual.  She has low thyroid and so has been taking medicine for that for years.  More recently her thyroid level has actually started to come up and approached normal.

Could there be any other cause for the sudden hair loss and any other things we should look at?  Any suggestions for treatment?

thank you very much in advance!
Hair fall is a physiological phenomenon due to the natural course of life of a hair. A hair falls after it has grown up and entered the later part of its growth (called the telogen phase). As different hairs in the body are in different phases of their growths at a given time, few of then fall daily a normal routine. Sometimes, more hairs enter into the telogen phase at the same time and fall with obvious note by the person. At other times, it may be due hair disorder or some other underlying disease. So, the causes for excessive hair fall may be physiological or pathological and include hormonal changes, fungal infection, physical effects (traction, heat, chemicals), psychological & stress-related reasons, thyroid disorders, iron deficiency anemia, excessive intake of Vitamin A, hereditary reasons etc. I suggest you to take opinion of a Dermatologist who will do a methodical medical check-up and advice accordingly.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Does low testosterone and progesterone in a female causing hair shedding and loss? Any thoughts on a bioidentical replacement ?  I went from super thick hair to medium ....