Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
cerebellar Tonsillar ectopia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

cerebellar Tonsillar ectopia

I have cerebellar Tonsillar ectopia of 4mm. Is this normal?

In tonsillar herniation, also called downward cerebellar herniation, the cerebellar tonsils move downward through the foramen magnum possibly causing compression of the lower brainstem and upper cervical spinal cord as they pass through the foramen magnum. Increased pressure on the brainstem can result in dysfunction of the centers in the brain responsible for controlling respiratory and cardiac function.

Tonsillar herniation of the cerebellum is also known commonly as a Chiari Malformation (CM). Cerebellar ectopia is a term used by radiologists to describe cerebellar tonsils that are "low lying" but that do not meet the radiographic criteria for definition as a Chiari malformation. The currently accepted radiographic definition for a Chiari malformation are cerebellar tonsils that lay at least 5mm below the level of the foramen magnum.

For further evaluation of tonsillar herniation, CINE flow studies are suggested. This type of MRI will look at the flow of CSF at the cranio-cervical joint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_herniation

Pls consult a neurologist for further evaluation.

In case you need any more information, pls do post us.

Regards and take care.
Just learned I also have Chiari I malformation. 5mm on left and 4mm on right. I've had the headaches for over ten years and always thought they were due to my neck but have found out otherwise. One symptom I've not read about is something like electrical pulses or something like a tesla coil sensation, not painful, from the base of the skull? Makes you feel a little unbalanced, hands and feet go more numb? Anyone else out there have this or something like it?

hopecannady
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?camp=msc

Hi...we do have a chiari forum where other members can share their experiences with odd symptoms that do not make the "offical list" of symptoms...we have a running joke that our list should be called a manifesto....

I invite anyone with this  or related conditions to stop by our forum : )

"selma"
My daughter was recently diagnosed w/ Chiari Type 1. We are trying pain meds first but they don't seem to be helping. Any suggestions on what type of meds make help for pain. Her neurologist is giving her migraine meds and anti inflammatory meds. No help. She was just diagnosed 1 week ago. hoe long should we try pain management before considerig surgery? I am new to this condition and it pains me to see my daughter in so much pain.

Hi I would suggest u join us in the chiari forum as well-

But b4 u consider surgery, know she can end up in a lot more pain post op especially if u rush into it thinking it will be a cure, there is none. And u have to check for all related conditions and see if she has a CSF obstruction b4 u even consider surgery.

As for pain meds, they usually do not help, but her activity level can help, as what we do and how we do it can be a trigger .

Stop by the chiari forum and depending if ur DD is over age 13 she can join us as well, it helps to talk to others with the same condition so she does not feel alone.
My daughter was recently diagnosed with the tonsillar ectopia of 4mm.  
We are in the process of consulting a neurologist for her.  I was responding to your comment about symptoms of numb, tingling, weightlessness, electrical charges in the arms. I broke my neck in a car accident in 1992 at C2-C3 and damaged the disc as well.  It is healed but since then (mostly when stressed or exhausted) have had these strange symptoms that I had always assumed were related to that injury.

Hi u may want to join the Chiari forum to get more info on this condition for ur DD....