Health Insurance Expert Forum
Do I technically have a pre-existing condition?

This forum is for questions and support regarding health insurance issues such as Medicare, Medicaid, Long-term health insurance, COBRA, insurance portability.

I have been having gastrointestinal problems for about a year and a half now. Last year I racked up about $20000 in bills, of which I paid about 5000 with the help of my student insurance (grad student). I was never diagnosed with any actual problem. I have food "allergies" to almost everything - or at least that's how my symptoms act. I have large amounts of gas and get cramps/spasms when I need to go to the bathroom the next morning. The thing is, even though I've had all these tests, I haven't received a diagnosis... which is why I've had to kick in 20%+ on everything instead of them paying 100% after 10k. My insurance only covers me in the local area and I want to switch to something so I can go somewhere better but I'm not sure if I'm going to be penalized.

What is the best way to go about getting a new insurance plan that will cover me? Honestly... it would probably be worth it if it was super expensive, but I don't want to go broke if I don't have to. I'm a college student and I've already got enough debt and am barely paying for living expenses.

Thanks for any and all input.
Dear andrewderouin,

Until 2014 when Health Care Reform is fully implemented, the private health insurance market “underwrites” policies based on prior/existing health history. Even though you have not been officially diagnosed with a specific condition, a typical health insurance application is designed to uncover any doctor visits, lab work or hospital stay you have had regardless of the diagnosis.

Disclosing your health history will most likely result in getting you declined through most private health insurance plans in MI with 1 exception; Blue Cross, Blue Shield of MI offers solutions for individuals in your situation through their “PPO” plans. In other words they do not underwrite based on health history which means a) they will not decline your application based on your pre-existing condition and b) they will not charge you a higher rate because you have had recent claims. They offer a number of PPO plans, some with lower deductible and higher monthly premium and others at higher deductible and lower premium.

You can run a free quote on www.eHealthinsurance.com or through the link that is typically provided on the left hand side of this page by simply providing your zip code, gender & date of birth. After you see the quotes, you can also call a licensed agent at eHealth should you have specific questions about a plan, process and eligibility or if you just want an expert opinion.

Sincerely,

Amir Mostafaie