Hearing Loss Community
Cochlear Implant for Single Sided Deafness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

I had severe to profund sudden hearing loss in the right ear with roaring tinnitus on 25th Nov 2013.  Steroid therapy started within 12 hours and later intera tympanic injections for 1 month but no recovery. I live in Pakistan.  In Feb 2014 i went to USA where doctors advised that the best possible option for me is to get a cochlear implant (CI).  I have also consulted doctors in Europe and Pakistan and they are also of the view that i should get a CI since would also help in reducing tinnitus.  Traditionally it was thought that CI is not suitable for people with SSD but now research in Europe has proved that it is better than other options like BAHA.

If anyone has any comments, knowledge or experience of a CI with SSD please share with me.  I have planned to get implanted in June 2014.

Fahed
The doctors are correct--cochlear implants are one great option for SSD.

At this point, you should be researching the three main CI companies, sifting through the information and research posted on their websites. While looks have some importance, I would focus on hearing performance. Look at hearing performance in noise, because that is the most realistic condition.

Also look into their history of problems with internal and external devices, because two of the companies have had issues. Only one has not had a pattern of failures with their internal and external components.

Please come back in July and tell us how you like the device! Best of luck.

BC
Thanks for your reply.  I really dont have a choice since only MedEL has representative in Lahore-Pakistan. Although i'm getting the surgery done in USA but the follow-up mapping sessions will be carried out in Pakistan.

Is it MedEl that has not had a pattern of failures?

Fahed
Yes, it is. Med-El also has excellent hearing in noise capability. You are in good hands.
Fahed89, I have the same type of hearing loss and you are fortunate that you can pay for or have insurance to cover implants for hearing loss on one side. Best of luck to you.
Yes, you are! Most here in the States will not cover that. They prefer to cover a bone-anchored device, which is also wildly expensive.
I became SSD in January 2011 due to a medical negligence. My GP prescribed me an cytotoxic ear drops to "help healing" my perforated ear drum. Two weeks after that I was totally deaf in me left side ear. Three years has passed since I became deaf. I have tried a BioCross hearing aid, but I stop using it one month after purchasing it because it blocks my good ear and it gives me contact allergy. I have also tried a BAHA tester for 2 months. I was impressed with BAHA, but very frustated at the same time, because I was not able to guide myself by the sound and to filter the background noise. The feedback noise was also very annoying! So, last year I decided to go for a CI instead BAHA. I wait one year for the surgery, due to my private health insurance waiting period. My surgery was 2 weeks ago and I'll be activated tomorrow for the first time ever! I'm extremely excited about it! :)
hope your surgery went well.  My CI surgery was on the 17th of June 2014 but unfortunately nerve for taste was damaged and now tongue  feels as if it has been scorched. it is nearly 3 months and there is no improvement. I'm still trying to get used to the sounds which i hear through the implant. At the moment i cant adjust with it but it would not be fair to comment so early. Lets hope for the best.
Hi Fahed,

I am sorry to hear about your taste nerve damage. I hope it heals soon. I am also from Pakistan, currently in Dallas, Texas. I lost all hearing in my left ear in May of 2013 and I went through all the usual treatment (i.e. steroid oral and ear-injected). I even tried oxygen therapy. None of it has really helped. My hearing loss is still profound. From the tiny sounds I do hear, the word recognition is impossible so the only hear-aid I am a candidate of is the cross ones. I have considered BAJA but it sounds too weird to have a hold in the back of my skull and have a magnetic device stuck but may I will come to terms with it some day and try it out. And the annoying tinnitus drives me nuts.

I was really anxious to hear about your CI since I have been considering it myself. I had sent you a PM a little while ago. Please keep us all posted. I know its too early to tell at this point.

Hi fahed, sorry to hear that you have had trouble with the taste nerve - hope it heals for you soon. Are you able to elaborate a bit about what type of device did you get and what are the problems that you are facing - is the problem in noise or just in general? I lost total hearing in my right ear 17 years ago when I was at university and had a baha implant about ten years ago but was not really satisfied with it. So I finally was assessed for and had my Baha surgery in Toronto 2 weeks ago - the healing is well underway and I will be fitted in couple of weeks. btw, I am also originally from Pakistan.
Sorry, I meant above that I had my Cochlear implant surgery 2 weeks ago and am now awaiting turn-on.
Fahed / Ayaz,

Are there any updates from either of you? I am seriously considering Cochlear implant.

Thanks,
Sorry for the delay as I had forgotten about this thread. Have you gone ahead with surgery? After several months now I am starting to get the hang of it but do realize that it is quite different than hearing frm your normal ear and there is a long learning process where you would understand virtually nothing but would need to wear the processor in order to train your brain to work with it. The advantage of baha is that there is little learning and once the device is turned-on, you can hear immediately. However, in the case of nerve loss on one side profoundly, baha may even make things somewhat more confusing as it's the normal ear that everything is being routed to, whereas a cochlear implant gives you the ability to receive sound sensations from the deaf side.