Hearing Loss Community
Cricket-like sound in ears and hearing loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

I'm assuming I have Tinnitus, but thought I'd ask someone exactly what they hear in their head/ears, since I've never actually gone to a doctor about it.  I have a constant cricket-like sound in my head/ears that pulses.  Some days seem better than others, but it's constant and very annoying.  I had a horse accident in 1970 (with a brain concussion), and I believe that may have started my hearing loss.  I don't remember the sounds before then, either.  Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
I am guessing you are at least 50 years old. A cliincal hearing loss occurs at around 60 years old. I say clinical because hearing loss is actually going on even before then, it just does not show up on a simple audio gram....yet.

What is going off is that hair cells are slowly giving up. The outer hair cells give up first, followed up by the inner. So you have that going on, and no one is immune to this. Then you have the head truama, and I agree there could be a link there too.

You need to get a hearing evaluation. Insurance does cover this, so go make an apt with an ENT that has a qualified audiologist.

I do not suspect anything critical will be found, except for a Sensory hearing loss....  and again, no one is immune from this.  

Good luck
Thanks for your comments.  I'll find an ENT and make an appointment soon.
I am 27 yrs old, I have never been around alot of noise infact I perfer the peace in quiet. I have always worked in spa's and in quite enviroments. 5 days ago I was at the gun range and had a very loud gun go off with out adequate protection quit close to my ears. Ever since I have had a very loud very consant ringing in  my ears. I saw an ENT yesterday that also performed a hearing test and determined that I had some hearing loss more on the higher frequency sounds. Everything sounds musled and the ringing is so loud it is very hard for me to consentrate. I am even scared to drive or leave the house because It's hard for me to determine where sound is coming from. I was told that I have tinnitus and they were not sure if it would get better or not. Is there anything I can do that helps, I am despreate to stop the ringing?
There has been some research done on people such as in your case. I believe it is usually preventative type treatment, the use of specific vitamins etc.

It was research being done in coordination with the miltiary.  

I have seen people in your case treated with vitamins and a steriod. I can not really comment on their recovery.

To be honest it is very much a punt at this point.

In the past I have seen folks in your situation that do aclimate over time to the tinnitus, and their hearing recover to some degree.  It really depends on the amount of damage that was done.

Post on the ENT forum and see if you can get more responses to you case.