Hearing Loss Community
Ear surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Ear surgery

Hi, I have a question regarding my ear. I had a tympanoplasty surgery a month ago. Now, I'm having a very bad itching inside of my ear. Is that a part of healing or it has an infection?
Hi Sashadah,

Welcome! That is a great question.

Honestly, it could be either. A month is a bit late for itching due to healing, but it is possible. I have a friend who swears one of her scars still occasionally itches--ten years after her surgery!

But infection is a distinct possibility, maybe more likely. I would get in to see your ENT again, have him take a look.

Let us know how it goes. Take care.
Thank you for replying to me. I saw my ENT doctor today. She told me everything is going well in my ear, but she had no idea why I have itching! However, I got a problem in my other ear. I had a typmpanpstay surgery in my other ear last December. Everything was ok until last month. I have had a fungual infection in my ear and unfortunately it's so destructive as she told me :( She had no idea why I have this infection and why it messed up my eardrum and made a big hole in it. She prescribed me ear drops and she'll wait now for a while to see if ill get another infection in my other ear (the one in which I had the surgery recently)! And, She may do another surgery for it in the future to fix it.

I am wondering if you have any idea about why I get this fungual infection? And, How could I take care of my other ear, so it won't be infected later?! I don't swim and I don't allow water to get into my ears while showering.