Hearing Loss Community
Hearing Loss From Sepsis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Hearing Loss From Sepsis

My wife came down with septic shock in December 2011. She was in ICU for 1 month. During the month, she received a multitude of antibiotics  to kill the infection. In addition she had dialysis, plasma ferisus,, was on a feeding tube, and  a ventilater. She then went through 3 weeks of Rehabilitation. She is gaining strength, but one of the more damaging effects was a substantial loss of hearing.
Is there any victims of Sepsis that experienced hearing loss resulting from the infection or the heavy medication that they received? If so, has it come back, and how long did it take?

Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Len B. . ,
Hello, I have sent a message to the administrators at the medhelp website to move your question to the otology side of the forum to discuss the sepsis side effects.

In terms of hearing loss from antibiotics-yes this is very common in life saving IV antibiotics and most of the time the loss is permanent.  Has your wife had an audiological exam?  If she is diagnosed with sensorineural hearing loss, her options will be to consider the use of hearing aids.  If her loss is diagnosed as mixed or conductive then she may benefit from other treatments which can be discussed with an otologist.

Thank you,

Rachele M. Orsini, Au.D.
Hi, Len.  I suffered from septic shock myself, for 2 weeks.  Apparently, I was bad, but your wife was worse.  I lost my hearing as well, which I noticed 1 week after my hospital stay.  No one paid attention to me, truthfully.  If it  had been addressed at that time, I probably would still have my hearing.  Hyperbarics is a good treatment, but most be done within 2 weeks of the loss in order for it to be very successful.  Blessings to you and your wife.  She is a proven survivor, and she is not alone.  God bless.
As per two experts I spoke to, top in their fields of ENT and Hyperbarics, 68% of those who lose their hearing regain it within 7 months to 1 year after they lose it.  So there is hope for us.