Hearing Loss Community
Muffled Hearing In Left Ear.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Muffled Hearing In Left Ear.

I've had a small cold for the past week. Nothing big, just a little congestion. I went to sleep one night and I when I woke up I felt like my ears were clogged. So I went into the bathroom and swiped them out with a q-tip. My right ear was fine after that but my left ear still felt clogged. My mom and sister think it's because I listen to loud music with my headphones. But I don't think that's it. There's no pain, it's just annoying. What could it be?
I know this may seem silly. But if you make a humming sound within your throat, and you hear humming sound more so in the muffled ear, there is a high chance you have a conductive hearing loss. 99% of all conductiver hearing losses are not caused by loud noise. The noise levels that could cause a conductive loss usually kills you. (like a bomb explosion etc)

I suspect you have a conductive loss due to a middle ear infection/fluid etc.

I do not suspect a noise induced Sensory loss, becuase it would be in both ears rather than one. Your headphones produce the same amount of power to each ear. So if one ear was damaged due to noise exposure, the other would be too.

But a conductive loss can, and often do occur in one ear. Conductive losses are rarely permanent, and I doubt will be in your case.

You need to visit with an ENT that staffs an audiologist. The audiologist will be able to perform some diagnostic tests that will allow a diagnossis to be made, and a treatment plan.

good luck
Thanks so much for your advice! I really appreciate it.
How's your ear? I have the same problem, I've seen an ENT and took a sound test, etc.  They basically put me on 2 or 3 meds for 2 weeks, if not better he's going to put my head through an MRI, he said it could be a small benighn tumor that can be removed.  

I'm only 29 and woke up Saturday morning and hearing in my left ear is muffled.. not to mentin the ringing I keep hearing :(, no pain or anything either so I know it's not an infection and there's nothing clogged in there according to the doc.
Hi, I'm wondering how your ear it too.  I have a similiar situation although I suspect something more because mine was caused by a stroke 5 years ago and I'm just now really looking into this.
Do the meds help you any bmw550istyle? I'm secheduling an appt. with an ENT in next week.
I am 31 and had my stroke 5 years ago. I've recently experienced some strange tingly feelings in my left ear that I havent' experinenced since my stroke and I'm curious to know what is going on. I need to get my hearing back so I can continue persuing my singing career.
I have the same problem too, I am 31 yrs Old, was healthy as a horse. I live in the southern states and went to PA for a visit, when I arived after a plane trip, I started hearing the "like the plane engine is right inside my ear".
I went to sleep, woke up blocked up on my left ear. now though no pain or anything I have a partial hearing though my left eat.
What might be the problem?