Hearing Loss Community
Sinus Infection Hearing Loss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Sinus Infection Hearing Loss?

I have what I believe to be a sinus infection. I still have a bit of a cough, sore throat, sinus pressure in my nasal passages, my forehead, and my ears. Once in a while, when and after I cough, I hear ringing in my ears. I have also has pain in my ears simultaneously. Currently, I have lost hearing in one of my ears. I woke up this morning and couldn't hear a thing out of it. What should I do?
Go straight to an audiologist for an evaluation. Also make an appointment with an ENT. Seeing the audiologist first would probably be best, because the degree and type of hearing loss might be helpful information for the ENT.

Please do not put it off. Hearing loss is not a "wait and see" kind of problem.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how you are doing.
If you have experienced a sudden hearing loss, you should see a physician as soon as possible.  It might be something as simple as fluid in the middle ear from a blocked Eustachian tube or it might be nerve-related damage.  You might require an audiogram (hearing test) for further evaluation.
You should see your primary care physician for treatment for a sinus infection.  This often includes a 10 day course of antibiotics, decongestant nasal spray, steroid nasal spray, and possibly steroids by mouth.  Your hearing loss is most likely related to Eustachian tube dysfunction (the tube that runs from the middle ear to the back of the nose); however, more serious nerve-related hearing loss might be occurring.  The only way to distinguish between the two is to have an audiogram (hearing test) performed by an audiologist.  If you have experienced nerve-related hearing loss, the treatment is either by high-dose oral steroids or a shot of steroids through the eardrum.  This treatment should be done under the care of an ENT.