Hearing Loss Community
hearing loss and facial numbness
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

hearing loss and facial numbness

One week ago I suddenly experienced hearing loss and facial numbness on the right side of my head.  I was sent for an MRI with contrast to check for acoustic neuroma.  The test was negative and I still have no hearing and I still have the numbness.  My physician is scratching his head as my symptoms don't fit other disorders. Any ideas?  Thanks!
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
152264_tn?1280358257
Did you get steroids (high-dose prednisone)? Are you getting referred to a neurologist?
Blank
Bells Palsy
Blank
yes and yes (today 12/2)
Blank
Thanks!
Blank
152264_tn?1280358257
I thought Bell's palsy caused facial WEAKNESS (i.e., drooping), and hearing sensitivity but not hearing loss? Because it involves the 7th cranial nerve.

I may be totally wrong but I thought facial sensation (numbness, pain) was controlled by the 5th cranial nerve (trigeminal nerve).

Thus, hearing loss plus facial numbness would seem to involve the 8th cranial nerve (hearing/balance) and the 5th?

Nancy T.
Blank
Bells Palsy or Ramsey Hunt

http://www.bellspalsy.ws/cause.htm

AuD.  CCC-A
Blank
I have the same problem. Sudden sensorineural hearing loss and some facial numbness on right. MRI doesn't show anything except some chronic mastoiditis on both sides which my ENT thinks it is not related. Did you find out what happened or anyone else has any ideas?
Thanks!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hearing Loss Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank