Hearing Loss Community
neurosensory hearing loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

neurosensory hearing loss

HELP!!!  Was told by my ear doctor i have neuro. sensory hearing loss in both ears its not from injury i am told my mother tells me no known cases other then me in family i am 40 yrs old docotr tells me i am rather young for it not to be running through the family i have read all the pamphlets and now i am worried and scared. i know i have to wear hearing aides (rather costly, i'm told) is there anyone out there that know where i can go for help, support maybe to help me understand more about just what and how to deal with for now the ringing, the headaches, and depression.

confussed...thanks
The term usually is called Sensory Neural Hearing Loss of SNHL.

If you are a 40 year old female, I would say odds are this is a genetic type loss.

Hard to say though, I don't know all the details, and that is really what would assist in determining that.

The good news is....   hearing aids are awesome these days. Sure they are expensive, but so what. In the long term scheme of things they are well worth it.  They are not shoes, they are medical devices that will help you communicate, & connect you with the rest of the world.

You will find that your tinnitus is less noticeable (sp) while your hearing aids are on, and I bet your depression will decrease.

Go for help?  What help do you need or want? If it is financial, many states have "re-hab" programs that have the goal of keeping people employable, and they do give financial assistance in the purchase of hearing aids if you financially qualify.

The net is full of information regarding SNHL. The good news is that SNHL is not deadly, while it is an inconvienience it is not the end of the world.

Worse case scernerio you go totally deaf, but even then there is something called a cochlear implant that can allow you to hear. Rush Limbaugh, and Hearther WhiteStone (sp) (former Miss America) both have cochlear implants.

But I do have some advice, work with a licensed audiologist. They have at least a MS or a Doctorate degree in Audiology, a field dedicated to the speech and hearing sciences. You will not find anyone more prepared to handle your questions & issues out there, than an Audiologist.

Best of luck to you.
my son has a severe profound hearing loss that happened when he was nine yrs old. it was very strange. i was sick at the time and my husband had to help him deal with all of this. he also has a sensori neural hearing loss from unknown causes. it is hard to imagine how u feel and i can not begin to imagine what a shock it must have been to u. there are many medicaid programs depending on location that could help u or vocational rehab. The first thing i would do is get to an audiologist and be fitted with a hearing aide, your quality of life would be much better although they do take some getting used to. My son is totally deaf and has chosen not to use cochlear implants. My son is an excellent lip reader, and functions in society to the point that no one that doesnt know he is deaf can tell. If u chose to there are sign language classes u can take, my son chose not to do that either. he is fourteen yrs old, and he would probably be the best one to talk to about feelings, i will see if he will post later under my name but knowing him he will make his own profile. so just keep ur eyes open he will respond, because i do know that he feels alone at times and he would be the best one to tell u how to deal with the feelings that u are experiencing he will probably be online about 6-7p mst i will help him get started on the forum
Just wanted to let you know that my uncle got the cochlear implant and he is so happy.  It changed his whole life.  He was 83 years old and in good shape but he had not been able to hear for a few years.  He had not talked on a phone in years.  Now he talks on the phone everyday to anyone that will listen to him.  He is a changed person.  Yes it his a very expensive so you either have to be rich or have insurance.  Good luck to you.
I wish my son would agree to this, but he is fourteen and it is his body, I can not feel good about forcing him into doing somehting that he doesnt want to do at this point. I do wish he were younger because I myself believe that it is ithe best way to go, but then again it depends on the persons own personality and age. I asked him to please respond, that he could help someone make decisions and discuss his own feelings. No was the answer because that is what mom wants him to do.

I did not want to say anything regarding your case, but it seems like I can without offending you.

You stated that your son is an awesome lip reader. But yet, he feels alone....? Those 2 statements do not add up. Often times the deaf are good foolers rather than good lip readers. I imagine if you both watched 30 minutes of TV with the volume down, and took a multiple choice test regarding the content of the show, you both would score around the same.

I agree a CI would be the way to go. Regarding forcing a Teenager to accept one, I do not know the legal ramifications etc regarding this. But I do know the educational, & long term financial ramifications of being deaf.  NOT GOOD

I guess hind site being what it is, when he was 9 years old it would have been best to get the CI done ASAP while he still was younger, & had yet to adjust to the deaf world.

I hope he at least develops sign...
I hate wearing my aid. I am 46. Hearing loss since age 17, got worse as time went on. Still not totally deaf, can hear, but cant always understand. Try explaining that one to a doctor. I am not rich, and with the current economic situation in the U.S., I am no longer even middle class. My ears ring, and I can still "pop" them open by holding my breath and pinching my nose.  The social isolation is depressing. Then comes the paranoia. "Do they think I'm stupid because I can't hear?"  Will anyone ever give me a job again.  Im afraid to meet anyone new because of the introductions and the conversations that invariably follow that have me saying "excuse me, I'm hard of hearing". Then the family starts in with jokes. "Up 2 streets and make a left" was the punchline for a hearing aid commercial awhile back. They had a big time with that.
Good luck. Get good digital aids, they are worth it if you can afford it. Most insurances these days do not cover aids, much less cochlear implants.  Got a rich uncle?
Regards
Colleen

I was born with nerve deafness 1963 i wear hearing aid in my both ears i was

Wondering is there a surgery to repair it if not i understand i have live with this fo

45 years nothing to be shame of  if you have to wear hearing,

Thanks Irishrose1963
Have you been check'd for  Me'nie're Disease
No never been checked for Meniere's. I dont have any symptoms other than hearing loud cricket type noise in my ears. Meniere's I understand, has vertigo and such associated with it.