Hearing Loss Community
overnight hearing loss/dizziness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

overnight hearing loss/dizziness

I woke up 1 1/2 years ago with total deafness in my left ear and partial hearing in my right ear. Called my primary Dr. about hearing and severe dizziness and vomiting. He sent me to an ENT that sent me for an MRI and referred me to an Otolaryngologist. This Dr. gave me steroid shots in both ears that did help the hearing in my right ear some - but did nothing at all for my left ear. He said that he had done everything that he could for me, so back to the Ent I went. He again referred me to another Otolaryngologist that specialized in hearing loss and balance problems - I walk like I'm drunk because of the dizziness and have to use a cane or walker at all times due to falling - so he did balance testing ( which I didn't do well in ) and another hearing test that showed no difference from my former specialist. My question is: is there anything that can be done about the dizziness? No one can give me an answer or a diagnosis as to what this is. I also have RA and blood clots in both lungs - RA diagnosed 20 years ago and blood clots found about a year ago altho I've been told have nothing to do with my ears. Is there another specialist I should see? Sorry to ramble but I'm starting to get depressed with this dizziness 24 hours a day and the low roaring in my ears. HELP me please.
notme234
Rheamatoid Arthritis?

Apparently your are not the first person to have such issues:

http://arthritis.about.com/od/arthritissignssymptoms/f/hearingloss.htm

I hope that this can send you on the right direction

(thank you for your post, I learned something)

Essentially RA is an inflamation (inflammation) disease.  No one can handle inflamation (inflammation) at the slightest degree in the inner ear (cochlea), be it the hearing portion or the Semi Circular system.

The system is housed all within bone, if the tissue within the boney housing becomes inflamed, then simple physics of hydraulics could theoritically go crazzy....

The end result, hearing loss, dizziness etc.
I have had the very same problem with hearing loss and dizzyness for 9 months.  Felt dizzy went to quick care(my mistake) diagnosed with vertigo, I did this twice,  Went to PCP also vertigo no one addressed my hearing loss.was sent to ENT too late, he gave me predisone it was passed the window,saw me twicw 2 hearing tests an MRI and told me to get a hearing aid. I did my hearing changed and my good ear became my bad ear.
I went to a nerrologist he found nothing wrong.  i am now going for a second opinion since my hearing is down to nothing can't hear with my hearing aid.  I go for more tests nex months,we tried steroids again all they did was make me fee l good for two weeks.the DR said in his carrer he has never seen bilateral hearing loss in sudden hearing loss but did not give me that diagnosis. I just want to know what is going to happen down the road.  you are the only one who I  found like me. I was in perfect health before this happened,turned my head felt dizzy and that was it

i