Heart Cancer Community
Patent ductus arteriosus

WELCOME TO THE HEART CANCER COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Questions to Ask a Doctor, Research, Risk Factors, Staging, Treatment and Warning Signs relating to heart cancer.

Patent ductus arteriosus

I recently had a CT scan in conclusions it sat small PDA branch which stands for Patent ductus arteriosus which is usually found in infants. I havent seen my doctor yet should i be worried about this?? Can someone explain any of this to me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
The patent ductus arteriosus is a vascular structure which connects the proximal descending aorta to the roof of the main pulmonary artery near the origin of the left branch pulmonary artery. PDA may be occasionally seen in adults. It can be asymptomatic or present with palpitations, dyspnea etc.If you are still not satisfied with the diagnosis seek the opinion of another cardiologist. You may need echocardiography to recognize volume load, know pulmonary artery systolic pressure and flow velocity through the duct and identify associated cardiac pathology. Transcatheter closure is the available option. Prevention of endocarditis is also an important part of treatment. Do keep me posted.
Take care and regards!