Heart Disease Expert Forum
15-month-old son with bicuspid aortic valve and mild stenosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Thank you for taking my question.

Background: My 15-month-old son was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve when he was 4 months old. At that time there was no stenosis. The cardiologist said the valve was performing just as it should be and there were no concerns. A month ago my son had his annual checkup. During the echo the cardiologist said there was
Buster,

Congrats on having a new child. Parenthood is stressful enough without having to worry about these things.

Im not a pediatric cardiologist and there are alot of variables involved. A large number of patients with biscupid aortic valve eventually need surgical repair. However, most need them later (after age 30). The good news is generally, they are able to lead normal lives without any significant inconvienences other than occasional noninvasive testing(echo) to follow the valve.  Some patients also have aortic abnormalities and these need to be followed over time.  Unless there is significant stenosis, there would be no need for valvuloplasty. A second opinion is not unreasonable, especially if it can help you relax more!

good luck
Hi, If you ahvent already found the sites below, they provide helpful information.

bicuspidfoundation.com
valvereplacement.com
I've been to the valvereplacement.com site but not the other one. Thanks for the lead. I will check it out.
I know this is a late post to your original concern but I had to respond because my son has the same heart defect.

He was diagnosed at 6 weeks and we were told the same thing. This is a very common defect that a lot of people live with having no complications. Let your son be as active as he wants to be and follow your cardiologists advice. Mild stenosis and leaking are normal for this problem. My son who is 12 in a week has severe regurgitation but it's been very gradual to get there. Do your research and educate yourself on the defect, there is an abundance of information on it. My son may be looking at surgery soon but everyone is different so don't let the horror stories get to you. Continue to get his Echo's done so that can follow him as he grows. I started a log with his measurements so I can see for myself the progression. With the stenosis the gradient becomes your key number, my sons is still at 47 and is still considered moderate. Stay informed but don't let it run your life.

Take care!
A related discussion, What are the signs of Progression of BAV? was started.
A related discussion, 15 month old daughter dx with BAV was started.