Heart Disease Expert Forum
20 weeks pregnant and Fetal Heartbeat stopped and restarted

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I went for my 20 week ultrasound and the tech noticed the baby's heartbeat stopped for 5 full seconds and then started back up.  I have an appointment on May 4th for a level 2 ultrasound and a fetal echocardiogram where they will be looking at the baby's heart and GI tract.  I would like any input as to what could cause this type of incident.  Thanks in advance.
barnes,

thanks for the post.

I have no idea even where to start. Im only deal with adults. I would call your OBs office today to discuss.

good luck, give us a followup.

Forgot to add that everything else during the u/s looked good and all other measurements and baby's brain looked fine.
Hi, I just wanted to say you and your little one are in our thoughts. Please do give us a follow up report like the Dr. said.
I wonder if there might be a forum for pediatric cardiology??  Anybody know???

All the best,
Uptowngirl
Barnes,

If your OB (who knows you best) doesn't answer your questions effectively and in a timely manner, then seek another opinion, ideally from a high risk OB who deals with many different people. Don't hestitate to seek another opinion, if only for your peace of mind.

Pregnancy is such a stressful time ... !!! Hang in there.

C

My prayers go out for your baby. I don't know where you are located but my sister had a simular situation and saw the pediatric cardiologist at Schnieders childrens hospital in New York,Dr. Bierman and her baby is doing great. He and everyone on their staff is great. They really help you understand exactly what you are dealing with. Find a good ped.card. that you can trust.
Thanks to everyone for your comments.  I have another week before I get the fetal echo.  I don't live in New York, I live in Maryland.  I have done extensive internet searches to find more info on this without any luck.  I will just continue to pray that everything will be ok.  I hope I will get more answers once I get the fetal echocardiogram.  I think I may end up consulting a high risk OB dr.  I believe they are called Perinatologists.  I don't know if a Pediatric Cardiologist would deal with situations if the baby hasn't been born yet, but I am not sure. Thanks again.
I wonder if it was possible that the tech just lost the "connection" to the heartbeat instead of that the heart "quit beating"?  How could you know for sure what happened?
Where do you live in Maryland?  If you're closer to DC, Children's Hospital has pediatric cardiologists on staff.  In the Baltimore area, there are pediatric cardiologists at Johns Hopkins.
I am hoping that it was some type of error on the ultrasound machine or tech's part.  That's what I am praying.
I live in southern Maryland.  I am being referred to the University of MD Medical Center in Baltimore.  They have a department called The Center for Advanced Fetal Care which includes perinatologists, pediatric cardiologists and high-risk obstetricians.  I just hate to have to wait that long to get any information on why this happened.  I am hoping, like the other poster stated, that maybe it was some type of error during the ultrasound.  Thanks.
That's great that there's a hospital specializing in all that.  Having been through two pregnancies, I know how stressful it can be.  You must be SO anxious.  Keep us posted.
If it helps any, the odds of something being wrong with a baby are millions to one. Especially at 20 weeks. He/she is probably perfect.
Just had my 3rd boy in March, and looking forward to having another even though I get palps all of the time.
Get it checked. Chances are the technology got it wrong, and bub's fine.
Praying that everthing turns out well, and that you will get some kind of peace of mind. Was the u/s recorded at all so they could go back and study? It could have very well been a misread from the tech. Do you have a dobbler at home where you could check on your own? They are nice to have to give you peace of mind. They can be costly to get a real good one but worth it.Since everything else checked out ok that should be encouraging. Keep us posted.God Bless
~momof6~
Well I had the fetal echo done.  Everything looked fine!  The baby's heartrate slowed once during the echo and the tech said it was most likely due to her pressing on the placenta with the wand.  I go every two weeks to the OB to check the fetal heartrate to make sure everything is okay.  Thanks to all who responded to me!
That is wonderful news!!:)Im glad everything looks great!I know how hard it is to enjoy a pregnancy when you are worried about the baby.Ill pray for you and that your baby is delivered safely.They are such a blessing.God Bless ~momof6
I just checked back for the first time in a while!  That is GREAT news.  Best of luck to you and your baby.