Heart Disease Expert Forum
Abnormal EKG

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Abnormal EKG

I went to in for a pre op EKG last week for elective surgery, and came back with an Abnormal EKG.  I am a young 56, athletic, healthy, 5' 6" 135 lbs., with no prior medical problems at all, and definitely not any heart issues.  The EKG came back Abnormal, indicating: sinus rythum Q in anteroseptal leads probable old anteroseptal infarction.  This is a shock and very very frightening. Since I got the EKG outside of my insurance system, I am  now waiting in line to see another cardiologist within the system to get the testing process started.  I guess my elective surgery isn't going to happen (?)  I am in a state of confusion.  Does this result seem serious?  How can this be possible with no prior symptoms at all?  I think I would have known it if I had previously had a heart attack. They took the EKG 3 times to be sure and the results were all the same. Anything that can be said to help clarify the results during this waiting period will be very much appreciated. Thank you.
The most likely scenario is that the EKG computer is over-reading, meaning that in reality you didn't have a heart attack in the past.  This happens often.  However, becuase as many as 50% of patients have no symptoms during their index heart attack, an echocardiogram should be done to evaluate your heart function.  If the heart function is normal than there is nothing to worry about.  If it is abnormal than you will need further testing.  I would expect that in your case, since you haven't noticed any limitiations and you are quite active, that this finding is a false positive.  Unfortunately, since further work up is going to be done, albeit with very low likelihood of finding anything abnormal, the surgery has to be postponed at this point.  
I want to send you a follow up note.  My abnormal EKG was followed up by a second EKG and Echo.  The cardiologist found that I have MVP with trivial leakage - no heart enlargement or thickness of valve. He deemed my heart to be very healthy. I also have zero calcium/plaque buildup. I proceeded with the elective surgery and went through general anesthesia 5 days ago.  The only issue I have now, 5 days after surgery, is that I have mild discomfort in/around my heart area.  It persists at night time - when I am sleeping, it wakes me up, and then I focus on the feeling of twinges and very mild pains directly in and around my heart. I am having more than the usual heart "flutters" which are often associated with MVP.  I am aware that surgery causes stress on the body.  I have not gone back to the cardiologist because I was so recently found to have a healthy heart, and a very unlikely candidate for heart attack or disease.  Should I be concerned about this "heart awareness/mild pain" I am now experiencing?  My thought is to wait a few more days to see if it is just related to the stress of surgery and goes away on its own, but I don't want to be foolish. I would very much appreciate your thoughts.  Thank you.