Heart Disease Expert Forum
Acute Pericarditis after pacemaker..

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Acute Pericarditis after pacemaker..

I developed acute pericarditis and fluid around my heart after I had a pacemaker put in my belly three days post op...my question is how common is it to develop this after having a pacemaker put in?
It is not common to develop pericarditis following a pacemaker but is common following open-heart surgery.  Did you have an apen heart procedure?  If so this is the most likely cause.
I asume it is an epicardial pacemaker, since it is in your abdomen?  I too had an epicardial pacer placed, but I have the device in my shoulder area.  I did not want it in my abdomen.  I too ended up with an epicardial effusion and a pericardial effusion.  The docs were going to "tap" the area to drain the fluid off.  But they decided to treat it with "Relafen" a drug to reduce swelling.  I did have a hard time breathing in certain positions.  It did feel much better soon after the drugs.  They do go away.  I do not know how common they are after this type of implant, but I do know that they do happen.  This is why most pacer docs do echo exam's after the placement of both epicardial and endocardial pacemakers.  Good luck with your pacemaker.
Thank you very much for your comment...The reason I had the pacer put in my stomach is because I developed a staph infection in my right shoulder area one-two weeks after having the pacer put in...so my dr had to remove the pacer and put it in the stomach...at some point it will go back in my right shoulder area...The DR put me on Prednisone 80mg(which is making me gain weight like crazy) Lasix 40mg, K-Dur 20meq and so on...the pain is pretty much gone but I still have a hard time breating...i tend to get very short of breath..when i do any type of activity....I can only hope that it will soon go away and I can go back to normal...thank you again for your kind words....Diana
Hi Diana,

I hope you feel better real soon.  It can be difficult at times dealing with health problems, but you sound like a strong person.

Take care and have a wonderful New Year !

DEB
To answer your question I did not have open heart surg...I just had a temp pacer put in my belly...in the next few weeks it should be removed and put back upo in the right shoulder area...
On Nov.15,1999 I had a MIDCAB & TMR, (a single bypass to the OM circumflex portion). It has been 10 weeks to the day and my ribs on the left side are still giving me very terrible pain. I was wondering if anyone out there might have had the same problem. Would like to know if this is far from normal.
I returned to work and mostly normal activities 16 days after my pacemaker was inserted.  I developed pericarditis 18 days after my pacemaker was implanted in my right shoulder area. I have a two-lead pacemaker, Guidant model 1270, with leads 4461 & 4451.  The fluid buildup was so great I experienced tamponod (sp?) and had an emergency catheter inserted into the pericardial sac.  Approx 1 pt of fluid (looked like blood to me) was removed.  Three days later it was decided a pericaridal window would relieve my problem and prevent it from recurring. I spent 3 days with a tube draining the fluid that came out after the operation.  My total stay in the hospital was one week.  My concern is the doctors don't know why the fluid built up.  The pacemaker probes DID NOT perforate the heart ... there is no evidence of bacteria, fungus, mold, etc, in the fluids removed.  I'm concerned about whether there will be complications if I resume normal activitiy.  I am 50 years old and very active.  Prior to the insertion of the pacemaker (for bradycardia) I ran 15-20 miles a week, and exercised regularly -- swimming, basketball, tennis, golf.   Will I be able to resume all this again?  I need some closure and assurance that the pericardial window has solved all my problems. Do I need to visit the Cleveland Clinic for  an evaluation, or are there tests my Cardiologist in HI should be performing to ease my mind.  I never want to experience that gripping pain again, if it can be avoided.  Please comment.