Am i having a heart attack at 14?
Hi my name is Melissa and I live in Bloomingdale, IL. I have been having very strange symptoms involving my heart lately... Whenever i play sports or do something that involves running for long periods of time i have palpitations in my chest, i feel dizzy, and i become short of breath. One of over 10 of the incidents in witch i have actually passed out. I went to my doctor and wore a heart monitor for 30 days, had an electrocardiogram done, and took an EKG test. They also took a blood test but everything came out clear. I am still experiencing the symptoms and have not received any treatment because nobody can find out what it is. Also, Now i am experiencing a more frightening type of episode. I have a sharp pain in my chest on the left side and i cannot take in a a deep breath. The pain is severe, sudden, and is made worse with sudden movement. the pain is once again sharp and stabbing, and is completely out of nowhere and leaves me laying on the ground in  pain every time. My mother has tried to take me to the emergency room but the episodes are over too fast for her to want to take me and get it checked out. Could I possibly be having a heart attack every time that this happens? Will they keep me overnight in the hospital if this happens again? i have been online at webmd.com and in the symptom checker it constantly tells me that if i experience those symptoms to seek emergency medical attention right away.  please help!  thanks!
Honey, you are NOT having a heart attack. The symptoms you describe sound like muscle related symptoms. There are two main reasons someone your age would have true heart related chest pain: a structure abnormality or a cardiomyopathy which is a disease heart wall problem. You don't have either of those and if you did, you would NEVER be able to play in sports. Most adults who suffer a heart attack, do so because of CAD (Coronary Artery Disease). There is too much plague build up in the arteries and the bloodflow is blocked and the heart wall dies. It takes 20+ years for that plague to build up enough for the person to have chest pains. You are only 14. Your heart beat is going to be racing if you have been running for that period of time, that's normal and because it is beating so fast, the chambers of the heart can't fill up with blood as easily, therefore the amount of blood being pumped out to the body, including the brain, is deminished. Bottom line...you become dizzy. Go play your gamews and have fun, believe it or not, you're fine. One more thing an EKG is the same thing as an Electrocardiogam, they are not two different tests.