Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aneurysm

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Aneurysm
Several years ago I had an ascending aortic aneurysm repaired, and my bicuspid aortic valve replaced.  At the time, the surgeon told me he thought the aneurysm was caused by turbulence from the valve.  However, since then I've also read that aneurysms can be caused by congenital connective tissue disorders linked to bicuspid aortic valves.  How do you determine the cause of an aneurysm?  If it is related to a connective tissue disorder, is it important to be screened for aneurysms elsewhere in the body, and how would that be done?  Thank you, ticktockgal
Bicuspid aortic valve and ascending aneurysms go together.  The specimens from patients who had a replacement reveal that there is an abnormality in the wall of the aorta (medial necrosis).  The turbulence from the valve is what may cause the aneurysm to worsen, however, even the patients who have bicuspid valves that are not severely stenotic can  develop aneurysms, meaning that the aneurysm is probably unrelated to the turbulent flow related to the stenosis.  To be certain that you abdominal aorta is normal, you could undergo a screening US.  Statistically speaking you should be ok.    
I recently had my aortic valve replaced and acending aortic aneurysm repaired.  Doctors always asked if marfan's syndrome runs in my family.  Has the same question been asked of you???