Heart Disease Community
Any ideas on my problems?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Any ideas on my problems?

Hi, I'm a 22 year old male who is very overweight, but also fairly active... at least I used to be before all of this started happening. Okay, about 3 1/2 years ago I began having heart palpitations, went to the hospital, had an echocardiogram, heart catheterization, and wore a holter monitor for 48 hours. They found out that I have apical hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and they said that my palpitations were benign and only if they got worse or I ever got very light-headed or passed out would I need to come to the hospital again. Well, 3 years passed and I only had the palpitations every once in a while, i.e. one or two times a week. Then, about 6 months ago my heart palpitations picked up quite a bit, i.e. 20 - 30 a day. Also, I started developing pinpoint headaches in a few places in my head that would would build, and throb and then subside, each lasting about 3 minutes and occurring 10 or so times a day. Then I had head rushes sometimes, and virtually every night I was unable to go to sleep due to a feeling of impending death. I suffered one major panic attack during this time as well, at which time my heart rate went up to around 200 beats per minute for about 4 minutes. Also, my left arm would tingle from time to time. I went to the cardiologist again, had a new echocardiogram, wore a holter monitor for a month, had a blood test to check for other problems like hyper-parathyroidism or an increase or decrease of a certain mineral or what-not. I also had a brain MRI to test for anything that might be causing the headaches or my other problems. All of that came back benign, they said that I still have apical hypertrophic cardiomyopathy but that it hasn't gotten any worse, and my palpitations are still apparently benign. During my time wearing the holter monitor I had one day, the first day of summer marching band at my college, when my palpitations were occuring every 3rd or 4th heartbeat. They started me on 2.5 mg of Bystolic per day, then one doctor recommended that I have a sleep study done. I did and they found out that I have mild sleep apnea and they had me get a CPAP machine which I use every night. The headaches are less, but the tingling in my arm and the greatly increased palpitations are still occuring. I've noticed that my pectoral muscles are always sore even with little or no strenuous activity, don't know if that has anything to do with anything. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, I'm ready to stop having all of this go on and go back to being a relatively normal 22 year old male.