Heart Disease Expert Forum
Are my arrhythmias dangerous?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Are my arrhythmias dangerous?

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse and paroxymal hypertension in my twenties. I've always felt skipped beats to some degree. About three years ago I had onset of paroxymal atrial fibrillation, this was diagnosed in the emergency room. My heart rate was 153 bpm and irregular. I've had about twelve bouts of this atrial fibrillation since this time. It does seem to be triggered by stress, but no one can figure out the cause. Echos show a mild mitral valve prolapse, that's all. I started having many skipped beats around October last year. I went to the doctor, who put a holter monitor on. It showed approximately 680 skipped beats in the 24 hour period. She diagnosed this as PSVT. I then followed up with my cardiologist who did a thallium stress test, which revealed all was normal. He then put a holter monitor on last week. The computer print out said I had 1,127 narrow beats within the 24 hour period. I believe that, as my diary showed almost constant skipped beats. My cardiologist told me I was imagining them, that I had only truly had 14 skipped beats, and that the computer errored.He feels it's my esophagus causing this. If it was my esophagus, why would I feel skips in my pulse? Does any of this sound dangerous to you? I am currently on tenormin 25mg t.i.d. It doesn't seem to help this PSVT from occuring. The only two things I know is they are worse at period time, and they are worse depending on how I move (bending over can cause them to start) and once they start sometimes they just won't quit for awhile. Is there a cure for all of this? I am also wondering if these "narrow beats" which he also referred to as PAC's are to do with the atrium and maybe my heart is trying to convert into a-fib full time rather than paroxymal? Any info you can give me is much appreciated. Thanks.
Dear Laurie,
It sounds like you are describing PACs and PVCs.  In general these type of arrhythmias are not dangerous.  There does seem to be an association with the menstral cycle as many posts here will attest.  I can't really comment on whether these are due to esophageal spasm or due to the heart without seeing the data.  Tenormin is a beta-blocker and is a good medication for these beats if needed. If you start having more atrial fibrillation a stronger medication may be needed.
I am wearing an event monitor to see if I have any arrhythmia other than tachycardia. I was wondering if anybody knows what, if anything, the tone means. Sometimes it is loud and shrill, other times it sounds like the battery is dying, and then at others it is neither.  Any clues?
I am also wearing a monitor to catch v-tach. The tones are the movement, i believe. Try this out. Sit completely still and do a recording. Play it back and see if the tone is about the same level. You probably already know this but you dont have to call it in, just plug it back up and no one knows you plyed with it. You should hear the beats regaurdless of the tones, this is what shows up on the tape. Good luck.
Hi Heartfull, thanks for the response. I had to chuckle when you said about nobody knowing we played with it.   :)  Anyway, I tried like you said and it remained the same, but then I danced with it recording (LOL) and it was still the same. I am wondering if it has anything to do with rhythm because when the beats are irregular the tone, sometimes, goes really sour. Also, it seems with the tachy it is shrill. What do you think?
I have been keeping an eye on your postings as well Heartfull and visit here each and every day...Blessings
My symptoms and diagnosis are very similar to Laurie's.  I've been diagnosed with mild MVP and experience very frequent PVC's which intensify around the week of my period.  My cardiologist has tested my glucose levels to see if that may be the cause, but after suffering from this for two years now, I am almost completely convinced that mine must be hormone related.  The first time I experienced very frequent PVC's was when I became pregnant with my first child and the doctor immediately dismissed them as hormone related.  They disappeared for years and now have returned (and I am definitely not pregnant!)  I am 37 years old and wonder if I am experiencing hormonal changes due to the onset of perimenopause which is causing the PVC's.  I am seriously considering trying birth control pills to see if they will regulate my hormone levels and hopefully reduce my PVC's.  I wonder if anyone else out there has tried this.
My pvc's and pac's are definetly related to hormones although the doctors say no.  I get them when I am ovulating and then really bad the 36 hours before i get my period.  I am on digoxin now and that has helped quiet them some.  Not as strong so not as annoying.
I noticed your comment which prompted me to ask you a few questions. Do you also suffer from atrial fibrillation? Do you have low blood sugar? I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia when I was pregnant with my first child, and I do notice the pvc's pac's can be worse when I haven't eaten. Sugar will also aggravate them. There seems to be many similarities with people and these symptoms on this bb. I wonder if we all have some syndrome they haven't yet formally diagnosed. Just wondering, the good news is we are all still alive to post about them still :) Any input would be appreciated!
The arrythmias I been having started in 1993. In first in 1993, I started getting a racing heart one day. It started racing one day and slowed down after a couple of hours, but did the same thing everyday after. The second came in 1997, I felt like a weird beating or flutter in my chest, then it is either beating slow, or fast but not regular, like all the beats are fast and in a row, but not a normal rythm, then I cough or do something with a quick motion to correct the beat, ( but mostly out of panic) ( sometimes at this point I feel woozy)
It goes from the weird beating, to a normal but fast beating, then back down to the normal rate, then this event is over. Sometimes when it kicks in to the normal but fast beating, I get a hot flushed feeling. That event scares me more than I can say. In 1997 when I first started getting this, it would happen once every couple of months, but now a couple times a month. I just had this,30 minutes ago and when this event happens it leaves my hands legs shaking from fright. The third in 1998, one day my heart would not stop racing, and I was feeling all these flutters and extra or strong beats. This started in the morning, and I couldnt go from the couch to the chair, with out my heart taking off. That night I finally saw a doctor in the er and then a cardiologist, and had all the tests, and now been taking toprol since 1999. But still have all these arrythmias. The doctor has never told me what it could be, because we never been able to catch it on the monitors. But even though I never know when it might happen, I notice a kind of pattern. About a week to two weeks after my last period, and two weeks later when the next one is due. I dont want to play doctor with myself, and I dont know what a fib or the symptons are, but I think maybe it might be that or something ventricular? I think if it was ventricular after all this time and being so far I correct it by coughing I dont and hope it is not that. If anyone can give me any info, or has any ideas about any of these seperate arrythmias, or has them also, PLEASE write your comments here. Thanks.
I just read another response on these arrhythmias, there seems to be an awful lot of common symptoms with them. I am still maintaining this is some disorder that doctor's have not yet put together. How many of you suffer mvp, psvt, atrial fib along with these arrhythmias? How many of you have low blood sugar? How many are worse at period time <women only>? How many of you have anxiety disorder/panic attacks, etc? How many have any type of blood pressure probs? Whether paroxymal or just elevated hypertension? After eating a large meal you feel them, diet high in sugar, these also point to a blood sugar problem. I do know...with my first attack of atrial fibrillation <the ONLY one I went to ER for> they did bloodwork, my glucose came up at 180 which is way high. Alcohol IS a trigger for this problem and the pac,pvc's, BUT NOT THE CAUSE. Stress is a trigger BUT NOT THE CAUSE. There are several "triggers" as we all know but in my opinion, they can't find the cause because they haven't yet diagnosed the disorder. There are just WAY too many of us out there with the same symptoms and it's too coincidental I think. Give me your opinions, I welcome the input.
Laurie
I posted a comment last night about 12:30a.m.  About a half hour before that I had the arrythmia that scares the hek out of me. I described it above. At 12:00p.m. today I had it again. Weird twelve hours later. Being it is saturday, and even though I have had this thing alot in the pass, it seems to be more frequent now, I tried to call my cardio, but the office was closed. The cardio taking calls, called me back about 3:00p.m. and he really doesn't know my problems. I have never been to him. But from what I describe about this thing, he said it sounds like maybe supra ventricular tachcardia. But this is only over the phone. He asked if I have had an echo, I have, also if I have mvp. I was told by my doctor, that by the echo , I dont. My sister has, she also has wpw. From 1985 her problems really began, she was on a ton of med. Shes a rn in the recovery room, and all the meds. she was on would knock down an elephant. In 1996 one night she passed out, ended up in the er and then at the hospital. They did an ablation a couple days later. I cant believe all the problems she had, for that amount of time, and it totally cured her. My nephew one day heart rate just flew. He had a monitor and was recorded one day at 245 while on a med. He had an ablation (he''s 15) an had an accesory pathway in the same place as my sister. They are aunt and nephew, he's cured also. My mothers heart rate the same thing. She is 73 now and has been on inderal since she was about 43. But me and my sisters problems are worse than my mothers. She seems to be fine on the inderal all this time. These things are so complex to diagnosed and treat, it seems that way to me.
It either sounds like PSVT or Atrial Fib neither of which are life threatening. When you have Atrial fibrillation it can beat real fast or not so fast but it flutters like crazy, feels like there is a bird loose in your chest. A quick cough or movement will sometimes restore it, and you can go in and out of that rhythm. If you aren't getting dizzy/passing out, don't worry but if you do then get it checked immediately.
If anyone would like to correspond about being anxious and helpless about irregular beats, please e-mail me ***@****  I am female, 38 and very paranoid.  These irregular beats rule my life even though some days I may only get one or two.  I had an ablation for racing heart four years ago, now fortunately I only have irregular beats from time to time, some feel like a flutter others thud, some pause for what feels like forever.  My knees go weak and I get nauseous immediately, I am always waiting for the next funny beats.  Of course the Drs say do not worry they will not kill you.  Trisha
I noticed when I do get this episode that scares me, it starts out with a slight flutter, then I feel the pulse in my neck, and my heart is either beating real slow, or last night and today when I got this, it was beating fast but not in a normal rythym. Sinus tachcardia is a fast beat, but in normal rythym. This was like my heart all of a sudden went out of normal rythm and threw some beats very fast and all together. It is almost like it is beating fine, then all of a sudden it goes out of sinc, then if I cough, that kicks it into a normal beating. Even though I had this many times in the past, and had the holter and event monitors, nothing was ever recorded. But now it seems like it is happening more, this week I want to see if I can get one or both of the monitors. I hate the holter monitor. Being that it is uncomfortable, and hard to sleep with the electrodes and monitor hanging down. I always feel Im going to pull the electrodes off by accident. I just hope after all this time I can finally get all my symptons recorded, and hopefully get treatment that might be more helpful.
I'm sorry but it really annoys me when Drs say: don't worry, they won't kill you, but there is no active research into this area.
acne won't kill you but there is plenty of research into curing this conditon
ditto for irritable bowel syndrome
athletes foot
wrinkles!
Sorry, its been a really bad PVC month.

I couldnt say it better! Your right, when someone has to deal with these stinking symptons, on a daily basis, it really starts to where the patience thin. My things started in October 1993. I keep thinking back to the 80's. Then I was in my 20's, and was working at that time in a conference center. I moved these huge and very heavey conference chairs and tables, ususally myself. Break down and set up coffee breaks, and just alot of cleaning, vacumming ect. I started there in 1983, I was 22, and left in 1989. I keep saying to myself, how did I do all that? Then it was nothing, I know it was probably good exercise. I ate alot then and stayed thin. My point is I wonder how and why did all this start? Maybe from 1989 - 1993 maybe beacause I was not getting that type of exercise anymore? Is it genetics, my mother has a fast rate when she was 17, it went away but came back in her 30's. My sister ditto, but after about 12 years, she has an ablation, my nephew too, they are fine now. I think its a combo of alot of things. Hormones yes, and I think it was just in me to come out at a certain age, from my family history. Who knows.
The thing is , I had the fast rate since 1993, and never saw a doctor about it until I had no choice in 1998, when this one day it would not slow down. Then that day the fluttering( I guess PVC's) and everything else started. Since that day in the E.R. and a cardiologist I still see every couple of months, I still don't no anymore what is going on then I did that day before I went to the E.R. I take Toprol and there are days I feel alright and then there are days I have all or some symptons, and I feel I forgot to take the med. I never forget to take it. I hear it too, don't worry, not serious, yet I have something which I haven't been able to catch on a monitor, the doctor says well I have to see it on the monitor. I understand that, but thats why I don't understand how they can say all this, don't worry, ect. if there is something there they haven't seen yet on a monitor. I know Toprol is not a cure all, but it is aggravating when you take the med. faithfully and you feel some days like it doesn't work. Maybe Toprol does that.
Hello everyone... I also just discovered this site and see it's benefits.  History: I'm a 27 yr. old male, 5' 1", 195lbs, fit and exercise 4-6X/week, jog and weight train, boxing, cycle ect... no previous history of any heart related issues... 3 Years agao at 24 yrs. old I was resting on my sofa and experienced 3-4 skipped beats in a row (now I know what a skipped beat is and the sensation) and got really scared thinking I was having a heart attack and was dying (sound extreme, but never experienced any heart related issues) this really scared me! Saw a cardiologist, did a dozen ECG's, stress test, holster monitor, checked twice and told that I was "healthy as a horse". After that first episode, it occured once a day, once a month, once every two months, sometimes twice a month.  A year ago with economic and social stress enduced I started noticing chest pain, more skipped beats and went for another opinion. Did the ECG 10x, stress test, V-Max Stress test for athletes (you run really hard on the treadmill and high grade for 12 minutes), Echo Cardiogram, 24HR holter showed 1 skipped beat in 24HRS... Doc said I was in "Very" good health and guaranteed I would never die of a heart attack or heart related symptom.  Conclusions: I agree with everyone that it's scary, sometimes painful (weather or not your imagining it!) and interfers with your lifestyle. It makes you wonder why you and the rest of the world is so healthy... POINT: Stress and Anxiety is your worst enemy!, Don't drink any alcohol, Don't drink any Coffee, try to eliminate adding any salt to your foods (natural occuring salts should be enough), Stay away from fast foods and dinning out! THE BEST THING IS SLEEP AND REST.  I found exercise always sets a good rythm. Keep your exercise moderate to your condition, age and lifestyle, eat 6 meals/day eating less, have your potassium and magnesium (florida avocado and oranges, banana's). You can also use the Hawthorn Berry Extract (droplet form) from your local health food store and the Horse Tail herb tea once a day! I think it sucks that it's happened to myself and you guys but we can now only live with it! Apologies for choppy story and spelling, just typing my thoughts away... Exercise, Eat Right, Love Yourslef, Rest, Don't Worry (I know I worry alot),Believe in GOD (If your religeous) and try to live the best life you can, hopefully in the next one you'll be a beautiful, rich, and healthy movie star... but for now make the best quality of life you can, unfortunatley we're human and not all answers and reason are know, maybe if we're around in the 2030 they'll be able to grow a new heart in test tube and transplant it as easy as putting on your shoes... Apologize for all the philosophy but you guys know I mean well. Comments or chat: alex_dolgonos***@****  Be well!!!
You said it, a bad PVC month! Every month is starting to be for me I get hundreds a day! It affects my life big time! I am so sick of it I sometimes feel like ripping the damn defective thing out of my chest! Or smacking it so hard it stops! Any ideas how to minimize them?
Can someone who suffers from PVC's tell me what they are and feel like. I have had  a couple of different arryhtmias for sometime now, and probably have them, but what do they feel like so I can get a idea.
Thanks.
I wanted to add to my above post, that this scary arrythmia I get is , it starts out I feel a slight flutter and just feel kind of weird, woozy in my head, I feel my pulse and its beating slow, I cough, in a few seconds it goes to a faster beat then to normal, then sometimes I feel like a hot flash, then it's over. Does that sound like a PVC? My cardiologist said he has to see it on a monitor, but it sounds like what I feel is my heart throws a few beats, I dont feel that, But then what Im feeling is the pause that follows them. Then sometimes I feel like a thump or one beat in my chest. Its like as soon as you feel it its over. I dont think that I could ever get that recorded with an event monitor, because that is too fast.  But the holter monitor thats already on I would be able to record it. I would appreciate any information anyone has.
Thanks.
I'm so glad my search led me to this forum. I've been feeling so much anxiety about these episodes. I was thinking that all of a sudden, out of the blue, at 45 and very healthy, my heart was going crazy! I never would have imagined that it could be related to perimenopause!! As I read your comments, I realized that these episodes correspond to my cycle, lasting for an hour or more several times a day for about 3-4 days right before and during my cycle. I do feel occasional short spells during the month. My question to the women who have dealt with this is: When menopause finally ends, will this go away?? !!!  
I really don't look forward to years of this, let alone the rest of my life. Does anyone know?  And, is there any point at which you really should go in and have all the tests? We have a huge deductible and I just don't feel like plunking down $1000 to be told I'm just fine and it's all harmless!
In answer to your questions in the above post, I have been diagnosed with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (along with PVC's and mild MVP).  When I wore an event monitor for a few weeks, I recorded one very short episode lasting about 10 seconds.  Since then (about 18 months ago), I have had only a few episodes that felt like they may be a-fib that only lasted a few seconds.  My main problem has been thousands of PVC's a day intensifying the week before and during my period.  I have been having bad days lately and my chest and heart kind of ache at the end of the day as if my heart muscle is just tired out from beating so hard every few beats!  It's so frustrating!

Also, as I mentioned, my doctor tested my glucose level and said he was testing for hypoglycemia which he thinks can contribute to more PVC's.  I will get those results one week from today.  It does sound like many of us women experience similar symptoms.  I just wish we could get some answers or some treatment.  In any case, I am thankful for the good days that I do have once in a while and just try to live life to the fullest.  Good luck to you!
Please help me!  Has anybody heard of this:  when I bend over, my heart goes into an irregular beat - slow, fast, skipping.  It stays in this mode til I straighten up and then it resumes normal beating.  I've had 3 ekg's and an echocardiogram and they were all normal.  This happens EVERY SINGLE TIME I bend over.  Ever hear of this?  Sometimes I think I'm going nuts I worry about it so much; however, I don't get short-winded, lightheaded, dizzy, nor do I have any pain.  What the heck is this?  Any information will be greatly appreciated!
sounds like vaso/vagal syndrome to me....
My palps can start or get worse simply by bending also. Lots of times that kicks off my PSVT. I personally think it is something to do with my floppy valve associated with MVP.
Hey everyone. Sorry it took me so long to reply, my puter pooped out for a few days. Thanks to Hankstar and others who are checking up on me. I am still waiting for the "big" one to record. It's just a matter of time. Still having the smaller ones tho. I was driving home with my 5 year old today and had a very brief run of VT. I know what they feel like now so i dont call them in, i just listen to it.Until i get the one i want him to see.
  Right now i am being annoyed with cardio spasyms. I was told that they were micro spasyms about a year ago, the syndrom (syndrome) X thing but now my cardio says cardio spasym. I think because they are getting stronger i can identify them more clearly for him. They are also starting to affect my left leg. If anyone who reads this has cardio spasyms in their leg/s please tell me if it causes swelling in your lower leg and foot.
  About the monitor, i thought it was the heart rate too but it didnt show anything on the readout. My dr. asked what i thought i was recording, it felt jumpy and i was still for the most part but it showed nothing. I wonder if there are some arrythmias it doesnt pick up on. I know it has been feeling very jumpy at times and i record but it doesnt show anything. Not the PVC feeling, a fluttery feeling. Hopefully it will come soon (and be the last one) and i can take this thing off.
  Hope you are all well and i will post again if i can remember my password this time :)
  God bless <><
If there's a doctor out there who can answer this, please do, as I'm very frightened.  My ekg's are normal; echocardiogram is normal.  However, every single time I bend over my heart goes into an irregular beat. EVERY time.  A few slow, a few fast, then some skipping; and it STAYS in this mode until I straighten up.  I have no lightheadedness, no pain, no shortness of breath, plus I walk two miles a day.  My doctor tells me not to worry about this but she hasn't EXPLAINED it and I'm scared.  Also, I have a large haital hernia...could this have something to do with it?  Thank you.
Thanks so much for answering my query!  If it's my hiatal hernia, then I'm not the least bit concerned. I don't want surgery for it because my mother had hers "repaired" and it went right back again.  I can put up with the irregular beating if I can lose my fear of it.  I know one thing for certain...the more a person thinks about skipped beats the more they'll have.  I only get occasional skipped beats when standing or sitting and they don't bother me at all.  One time though, I was very worried about them and became so sensitized to them that I was having them all the time!  I'd been visiting a relative in the hospital, and I was so sensitized that every time a nurse walked by my heart would skip a bunch of times.  I can laugh at that now :)  Good luck to all of you.  This forum is terrific.
Wanted to post another comment.  I was put on tenormin for rapid heart rate (it was doing 120 at rest).  It works beautifully, BUT...I think that's when my irregular heartbeat while bending over started.  I wonder if the medicine could be causing this?  Also, don't know if any of you know this...but tenormin is used in the treatment of migraine headaches.  I used to get migraines regularly (they were horrible!) but since the tenormin I'm migraine-free!
You've really helped me and I thank you!  I agree tenormin/atenolol is a good drug.  I haven't had ONE migraine since starting it.  As for my hiatal hernia, the doctor who found it (through endoscopy) said I didn't need surgery so I'm just ignoring it.  Tenormin makes my heart beat very comfortably; it was awful having that terrible, constant, rapid heartbeat.  Oh...any of you who experience palpitations after eating...I read that sometimes when eating we swallow too much air and it distends the stomach and thus we are much more aware of our heartbeat.  I'm no doctor and am not trying to be one...just trying to share some of my experiences in case I can help anyone.
Hello Everyone;
My name is Albert(AL), Here's my history. I was born with a defected heart valve (Aorta). In 1980 Dr. Jack Copeland of the University of Arizona did a Aorta coartation. He used tissue from my own body to repair it. It went well. However, in 1995 I felt the first series of irregular heart beats. It freaked me out. I thougth I was having a heart attack.
I went to a cardiologist and They put me on serveral different meds. One was beta blockers and the last one was atenol. I haven't been on any med since spring of 2000. I have experienced serveral episols of irregular beats. My question to CCF Drs. or anyone out there. Could my problem stem from my congenital heart defects? I look forward to hearing from you...

God Bless.. Al
I'm having episodes where my heart feels like it skips a beat and then beats real fast to catch up.   I then have to cough and afterwards I feel very shaking.  The other day driving to work I had one and everything started to go black.  Even though I had been having these off and on for a couple of years this blackout episode sacred me into going to the doctor.  He did blood work and an EKG and currently I have a heart moitor.  All he said to me was that my heart beats too fast and the EKG showed a "short wave".  Recently I was walking with a friend and I started to feel light-headed and thought I was going to faint while my heart was beating rapidly.  I'm afraid to workout any after this because it happens anytime I do mild exercise.  I read where this may be a hormone thing and wonder if this is true since I am a 26 year old female who is struggling with acne also.  But would hormones affect me when I am working out? I would appreciate talking to someone about this.
Hi Raven,

I would suggest that you get a copy of "The Schwarzbein Principle".  It addresses many of the concerns you have and tells
you how to eliminate them through a balanced diet - combination
of carbs, protein and fat.  Most people do not have that balance
and it causes in many cases, rapid heart beats, acne...The book
is a collaboration of doctors who have treated patients with a
variety of ailments over the years with great success.  You can
order it over internet or at any bookstore.  I've just started
eating better and feel an improvement already.  Hope this helps.
Henriette.
Hi all...I was a little disappointed that I didn't get a more replies to my query:  Why, when I bend over, does my heart go into an irregular beat?  Also, is this common?  I hope a doctor will answer me.  EKG's show everything is normal.  Does anyone else have this?  When I bend over, my heart stays in that mode; the second I straighten up it goes back to normal rhythm.  I have no other symptoms; I feel great.  But I'm so scared of this.  Perhaps it's just my hiatal hernia...would a doctor please answer me?  Thank you in advance.
One more comment...if a doctor answers this, PLEASE be gentle with me as I'm terrified and am very prone to panic attacks.  I sure hope that positional irregular beat is nothing to worry about.
Im not a doctor, I just post things here as well. I just read your last post and like yourself I post some things above asking for some ideas or answers what the things I experience could be, but have not had any response. I have things like the fast heart rate, that feeling like an extra beat or it feel like your heart did a quick somersault. For me even on Toprol I still feel it all, but ALOT better with the Toprol. Recently my dose has been increase, it has seems to help. What I get it somewhat simular to you. Sometimes when I bend down to pick something up, I'm fine, but when I stand back up, my heart takes off. For a few seconds it beats fast, and I feel slightly lightheaded. Some days Ill get this when I get up out of bed in the a.m., while bending down, after eating a meal, after walking up a flight of stairs, and it is ALWAYS worst around that time of month. I have been going to a cardiologist since July 1999, I guess he has an idea, but I have never been told anything specific. I hope we both can get some ideas from here.

I have been researching skipped beats/ectopic heartbeats for years and I am only 23.  I started to get them when I was 18 years old.  Something happened to me during that time and it startled me and ever since then I have been getting skipped beats.  A couple times a year my heart would all of a sudden go into overdrive-I am not sure if would have been a panic attack of some sort or what.  It happened at a carnival and I almost went crazy.  my heart was thumping very fast.  I thought that I was going to die.  It was never that bad.  I have complained to my primary care dr (who is a cardiologist) and he never seemed to care.  Over time, he did a few ekg's and and echo and they call came back in good health!!!  However, i could not stop complainging about them.  I have been trying to diagnose myself, which is a terrible thing to do, oever the internet.  I seeked a second opinion.  I wore a holter for 48 hrs and she said that I had 3 skipped beats (ectopic).  Then I went to her again and she ordered me a king of hearts for one month.  I actually called her today cause she never called me back with results.  It has been almost 6 months.  I am trying to figure out what is wrong with me, since no one else will.  It may be hormonal and it does occur after I eat.  I read on info about stomach spasms, but I am not sure.  It goes away some weeks, but then it will happen lots after.  I would love for someone to reply to this.  I wrote numerous comments on other search engines, but never received replies!!!!
Please, those of you with irregular heartbeats, (and almost any other physical problem) PLEASE have the levels of vitamins and minerals in your blood checked.  (Nutritionists that are Holistic practitioners will do it)
I added one, yes I said ONE vitamin and all irregular heartbeats stopped.  No medical Dr. was able to stop them.  Will now work on the rest of my problems.  I had a triple bi-pass in 1997.  Have an enlarged heart, COPD, Hypothyroidism, and Emphysema.  The operation also left me with a constantly swollen leg which will never go down, and on-again off-again depression.
which vitamin did you add??
Which Vitamin was it.  I take a multivitamin along with Vit E and garlic
Well we all have the same symptoms and everyone tells us not to worry.  How ridiculous! Do any of you have defense mechanisms that you use while having these symptoms?  I've done some research.  For rapid heart rates - drink cold fluids.  I drink cold milk. To get the heart rate down, do deep slow breathing (in through the nose, out through the mouth - do a count down from 10).  Take your pulse before and after - you should see a difference.  Cardiologists also suggest burping or passing gas.  I also slowly walk around the house.  Above all tell your loved ones, friends and co-workers so if this happens they can help calm you down by talking or back massage etc. or if need be they can call 911 for you.
I've been reading some of your comments on arrhythmia, and I want to add my own experience.  I have what I call heart flutters.  I started noticing them maybe 6 years ago. They seemed to be happening with increasing regularity, so I asked my doctor about them. Like so many of you, my doctor said it is arrhythmia, and nothing to be alarmed about.

About 3 years ago another doctor found out that I needed medication for hypertension and low thyroid level.  After I started taking these medications the heart flutters almost completely stopped. I was so relieved not to be getting them, but I was also rather upset to think that my heart flutters may have been caused by my needing these meds.  Well, in the last couple of months the heart flutters have returned! I just cannot believe that these feelings are normal.  It feels as if a huge, strong butterfly is fluttering in my heart. This evening I had a series of particularly strong flutters, they not only scare me, they make me feel as if I can't get enough oxygen.  I really don't think that the feeling that I need more oxyegn has anything to do with my being alarmed.  I also feel a little weak after this happens.

Can this really be normal?  I don't know anyone else that gets these, except the people on this board. LOL

nancyann
I am so glad that I have found this heart discussion forum.
I am a 52 year old female who has been plagued with PVC's most of my life but never as bad as I have had them since this past January.  They seem to be more numerous right after eating but I do have them off and on inbetween meals.  I have been searching the web for answers as two doctors have told me that all my heart and blood tests are fine.  My doctor doesn't believe that the glucose tolerance test is accurate so he doesn't give them only the fasting blood test which would show only diabetes.  I have been told, on other forums relating to hypoglycemia that I might either have reactive hypoglycemia or be carbohydrate intolerant and that might be causing me to have so many PVC's. I have changed my diet to a very low carb, higher protein diet three times a day with a plain yogert snack before bedtime. NO CHANGE. I have worn the holter monitor and had EKG's.  The holter monitor showed the PVC's but a cardiologist said they weren't the kind to be worried about.  Easy for him to say!!!! When you have to live with them day in and day out, it's a problem and worry!!! My doctor called me yesterday, after running another blood sugar test and adrenial gland test and said that they are both fine but he is willing to put me on a mild beta blocker. I am willing to try anything right now.  I have wondered for a long time about this being homone related too, as I take Estrogen, thyroid medication for being hypothyroid and cholestral medication.  I know it isn't thyroid related because I have had these PVC's even when my thyroid is running a little below normal.  Right now it is where it's supposed to be.
Is is really true that these PVC's aren't dangerous to our heart muscle?  It makes you wonder when you have hundreds a day that you aren't doing something to the heart. It wasn't meant to beat abnormal.  Any comments would sure be appreciated.
Dear JanW, Hi, As you read the comments on this forum, you can see you are not alone in the way you feel. It is easy for a cardiologist to say don't worry, but unless he or she is experiencing the same annoying and unnerving symptoms daily, they will never truly understand the fear it causes a patient. However, the extra beats are usually found to be benign after a complete cardiac workup, and the next step is to try and desensitive yourself to them( another stock answer from a cardiologist) this is not easy. Try to find answers from your gynecologist concerning hormone connections. Search this forum in the archives for helpful comments from others in finding ways to cope with the PVC's, including meds used. I have been using this forum for a few months, and find myself more relaxed and better able to deal with the daily palpitations just knowing I am not alone. Good Luck and I hope you find the answers you need.
I dont know what you fellas make of this,but it happened to me.Just after my wife died I started to get the butterfly/ missed heart beat symtoms (symptoms). I went to my local GP and he done the usual and told me it was due to stress and gave me medication and informed me that I would be OK in about three months. This did not happen. On my way to work one day I felt faint and fell to the ground.I picked myself up and continued to work. The next day it happened again. I decided to pay a visit to the nearest doctor straight away. He stuck all sorts of sensors over my body and informed me that my heart was fibrilating and sent me to hospital for more tests. It was revealed there that the problem was my thyroid. I was put on a dose of tablets, Approx 200 a week (Neomercazole and Warfarin tho I never took the Warfarin when I found out it kills rats),until they had worked out the correct dosage to bring my thyroid to a satisfactory state. Though my butterflies and thumping heartbeat has not gone completely away, all I have to do when I get them is take a couple of Neomercazole tablets for a couple of days and they are gone for some time. Needless to say I do not worry any more as it is now 15 years since it started, and my comment here is proof that these things will not kill, but I am sure that worry will. My local Gp still insists that he was right and Neomercazole is not fixing the problem. I have made this comment thinking that maybe this might be worth consideration by others.
I am 43 and started having rapid heart beats about 5 years ago.  I was put on HS Covera after a year or so, and continued on that until November of 2000.  I would have the rapid heart beat about every 5 months.  My husband was a fireman and if the pager went off at night, that might trigger the rate.  Or if I was woke up from the phone; have it sometimes right after lunch.  My heart will make 2 "thumps" and then it's racing big time.  Is this the "fluttering" some of you talk about?  Or is this the "skipped beats" you mention?  My fast rate feels normal and nothing irregular shows up on tests.  Normally I could make it stop by (1) blowing on a balloon (2) Holding my breath or (3) breating in and out of a paper bag.  In October, I couldn't get it to stop and I couldn't get the count.  I went to the doctor and after about 2 hours he sent me to the ER.  They gave me something (I forget what it's called) in the IV to stop the heart.  The cardiologist I went to recommended going to a speciaolist and seeing about oblation (ablation).  7 months went by and recently I had another spell at 1:00 a.m.  About 2 hours long; I finally got it to slow down by last resort of breathing in the bag.  Cardiologist and general doctor refuse now to refer me to a specialist.  Say it doesn't happen often enough and they need to just change my medicine.  Since Nov. 2000 I've been on Verelen(sp?) PM 300.  This is frustrating.  For years, I've cut out caffeine, chocolate, sugar (I love jelly beans, and may does that bring it on).  One of my cousins had this and she passed out every time it happened.  I only passed out the first time it ever happened.  I feel fine while it's going on.  My cousin had the oblation (ablation) in January 2001 and she's doing great.  

well I want to tell you that I too have this problem with the heart.I am now on rythmol 150mg three times a day.It helps alot and there are still some days that I dont feel well.
I am now going for a thallium test and I am nervous about that.
I am gladd I found this site and thanks for letting me post  sincerly mediumkat
i've been dealing with these symptoms since I was in college, am now 43 and a mother of two teenagers. Thank God they are good kids...because stress, whether good or bad seems to be my biggest enemy.  I have given up my teaching job (7th graders) because I get too involved with them and there goes my heart, My life is not normal, I'm becoming more and more afraid of everything, i'm having strange panic attacks, have a hard time going into stores with bright lights...is this sounding crazy? I was told I have a mild MVP with mild regurgitaion...I have had everything from arteriogram to tilt table test......nothing, just the MVP, but still I have this awful arrhythmia. The last dr. I saw was one at St. Luke's in Houston .  He put me on tambacor, 50 mg twice a day, plus toprol XL twice a day, and ativan 1mg twice a day to try and control the panic episodes...I don't want to die yet, last night I was quite sure I wouldn't make it until this morning.....sometimes I get dizzy and fall with this thing.....I went back for a checkup the Dr. says I'm doing great!  Well, I'm not doing great, I feel like my life is falling apart.....there's got to be someone out there with answers...I am depending solely on God at this point..
I am a 30 year old male. I had several episodes of sinus tachycardia since I was 18. But recently my problem got worse.
EVERY morning my heart starts racing with minimal exertion.
Even if I walk for only 20 meters my heart rate is 120-130 per minute. I go to normal phase late in the evening. Then, I can walk, even run without problems. If I get stressed during my "morning" phase I get tachycardia of about 150-160 beats per minute.
Does anyone know why  this is happening only in the morning.
I usually get stressed when I feel a PVC beat (I have them 1-2 per day) or I anticipate tachycardia. Since there is always something to upset you in the morning, I could not function any more. I am scared to go to my work place since last time
I had an episode while driving. This was a week ago and I am at home since then. I started taking ATENOL. It works fine but I do not know how long I can use them without problems. Does anyone know how long should I be on ATENOL? I have heard that beta blockers can have  severe side effects like heart failure and cardiac arrest.

Thanks,

Dejan

A related discussion, what is going on with me and is it life threatening was started.
A related discussion, feeling hopeless in texas was started.
A related discussion, Massaging Sides of  Throat Relieves Symptoms was started.