Atenolol half-life and irritability
I have a mild form of Cerebral Palsy. It is confined to the lower extremities. At about 10 years old (now I'm almost 38) I began having tachycardia episodes, which had all the cassic signs of panic attacks. I started a beta blocker (inderal) at age 10 and have been on one form or another ever since. I am now on atenolol. My question is: Does CP contribute to general anxiety in a physiological and/or physchological sense? After having spent the last ten years on a single dose, and having tense afternoons and evenings, and I experience other symptoms as well, like random BP and heart rate spikes and tremors. it was suggested that I try doubling the dosage to 25 mg 2x daily. The anxiety and nervousness and agression subsided almost instantly. Literally within hours.

Is it possible/likely that I was just developing tolerance for that dosage and that as I broke through it in the afternoon, I'd have more episodes of anxiety and aggressive behavior?

Could this explain my hitherto unexplainable irritability and aggression? I literally never have it during the efficacious period. I take it at 8 AM and work till 3 PM. By the time I get home at 3:30, it has worn off and I am tense, irritable and tend to lash out irrationally. Since I doubled the dose, I've had none of this. I even went off and on to test the hypothesis. If I don't take the double dose, I'm a grouch. Is there some underlying issue with CP that effects the CNS and causes elevated adrenals?

The most recent tests are looking for Pheochromocytosis, but would Atenolol dosage become ineffective with such regularity?