Heart Disease Community
Atrial Fibrillation

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Atrial Fibrillation

Does 80 mg of sotalol twice a day help prevent Atrial Fibrillation ? I've had one per year over the past five years while on that dosage. Since I've been taken off the sotalol by a new cardiologist, I've had one AF episode every month for the last 3 months. Should I restart the intake of the sotalol? I'm really pissed off at my new cardiologist. Can you help me?
Avatar n tn
I am no expert, just learning what I can.  Seems to be a concensus that the more eposodes one has, the more frequent they will become.  I would talk to another doc who comes well recommended.
I was on sotalol for a couple of years. It did help with my a-fib and flutter. However, I did start breaking through. Then my doctor added Cardizem with the sotalol and that helped for awhile also. In the summer of 2007 my fib and flutter started breaking through the meds again and it was decided that my last resort was an ablation. I had it done in January 08. So far so good. Why did your new cardio take you off the sotalol? Do you see an EP or just a cardio doctor. If you see a cardio doctor I would suggest changing to an EP. The specialize in heart rhythm problems. I would talk to the doctor and let him know how things have gotten worse since he took you off the drug and let him know you want to go back on it.