Heart Disease Expert Forum
Atrial Septal Defect
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Atrial Septal Defect

When I was five, I had surgery to repair pulmonary stenosis.  I have done well until the last two years.  I am a 44 year old teacher and mother of two.  I have progressively felt more and more tired.(Many nights I sleep for 1-2 hours after work.) During my last visit with my doctor, he heard a strange heart murmur.  He sent me to a cardiologist who did a stress echo and a transesophical echo.  These tests showed an ASD and minor leakage from the pulmonary valve.  This doctor referred me to the Mayo Clinic's Center For Adults With Congenital Heart Defects.  My insurance would not pay for this visit, so they referred me to another cardiologist in Kansas City.  He did a heart cath which showed that the ASD did dnot open unless probed, although I was sedated during this test.  I passed out immediately ont he tilt table, so he did an echo in the standing position and another transesophical echo in the standing position.  He found that the ASD was approximately 2 cm., with some shunting and moderate pulmonary insuficiency.  The right side of my heart is slightly enlarged.  The second doctor sent me to a surgeon.  I was surprised when the surgeon told me that he did not recommend the surgery because I had previous heart surgery and because I had asthma. Also, he doesn't feel it would aleviate my symptoms. Do you have any info. that might help?