Heart Disease Expert Forum
BORN WITH HEART ON THE WRONG SIDE

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

BORN WITH HEART ON THE WRONG SIDE

I was born with my heart on the right side. The doctor called this condition sideus. I am having a hard time trying to find more information in concerns to how and why this happens. Through out my childhood the doctor's monitored my heart but, they said everything is working find. I am 21 now and want to have children but, i don't know how and if  this will effect my pregancy. Do you know how  i can obtain more information on people like this and this condtion in general?
Dear Ginn,

There are two situations where the heart can be on the right side instead of the usual left side.  There is situs invertus where all the organs are switched so the body is a "mirror image" of normal.  The other condition is called dextrocardia where only the heart is on the right side.  These conditions occur because there is not a rotation of the organ(s) during fetal development.  It is not hereditary.  In general persons with these conditions are otherwise normal and lead normal lives.  You should ask your OB/Gyn if there are any reasons for you not to have children but in general persons with these conditions can have children.  You can find more information in a general pediatric cardiology textbook at your local library.
You might want to try doing a search on the net using the word "Dextrocardia." This is another name for the condition of  the heart being on the right instead of the left.
                    *Mickie*
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=Dextrocardia

Cut and paste into your favorite web browser and you'll find about 10 pages worth!