Heart Disease Expert Forum
Beta blockers with allergies
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Beta blockers with allergies

There was a sign on my allergy doctor's door that states if you take a beta blocker you must notify the doctor.  My primary doctor gave me a prescription for topral for palipatations and fast heart rate.  I am really hesitant to start it, as I really don't know if my condition is bad enough to really be on it. Taking beta blockers seems so serious.  What is the problem of taking beta blockers and allergy shots together?
Related Discussions
Dear Pisme,

Beta blockers may blunt an allergic response and may also promote asthma in allergic patients.  Continue taking your beta blockers for your heart condition and the allergy issues may be resolved in alternative ways.
3 Comments
Blank
I am not a doctor and am not suggesting anything medical, but I have been suffering with PVC's for just over a year now and have been taking a small dose of beta blockers on a daily basis.  I tend to get sinus headaches quite frequently and have still taken Sine Off to combat the headaches.  

I was told by a pharmacist not to take the sinus medicine while taking a beta blocker because most sinus med's will raise the heartrate while the beta blocker is trying to slow it.  I thanked the pharmacist for the advice and took the 2 drugs anyway and have been fine.  

My best advice would be to consult your cardiologist as to what allergy med's you can take while on beta blockers.
Blank
thank you for your comments.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity